49) Sick

I woke up with a heavy feeling in my chest, then suddenly erupted into a fit of coughs. I felt woozy and my head was cloudy, and that's when I realised my whole room was still dark, apart from a small nightlight. I reached for my phone which was sitting on the bedside table next to me and checked the time.

2:37am, Monday 18th May.

I was sort of relieved when I saw that I still had a few more hours available for sleeping before I had to get up for school, but my thoughts were cut short when I started coughing again.

My door opened, and I turned to see the silhouette of a sleepy Lachie standing in the doorway.

"Shut up Livi. I'm trying to sleep." He exclaimed groggily.

"Go-get-Hunter." I spluttered in between my coughs. My nose was also really blocked, so the second there was a pause in my couching, I reached for the box of tissues.

Lachie reappeared with Hunter behind him a few minutes later, and he quickly came over to me, despite how sleepy he was.

He pulled me into his lap and rubbed my back as my couching slowly ceased.

"God, baby, you're so hot!" He said, putting a hand on my forehead.

"It's so cold." I said, shivering and tucking closer into him.

"Lachie, can you please get the thermometer from the kitchen?" Asked Hunter, earning a grumble in response.

"How did you get sick now? It's only half way through term." Hunter jokingly tutted, and that was when I realised.

"Jaxon." I mumbled.

"You want Jaxon?" He asked, looking down at me, and I immediately shook my head.

"No. His fault." I whispered in my raspy voice.

"What do you mean?" Hunter asked whilst turning on my lamp.

"He threw me in the pool yesterday." I explained, containing a cough.

"What!? Why?" He exclaimed, the tiniest bit of anger flashing through his eyes.

"He said I couldn't get away with..." I got cut off by my own sneeze and then burst into another fit of coughs.

I was still coughing when Lachie returned, passing the thermometer to Hunter then leaving.

"Uh, Lachie?" Hunter asked, making him groan and turn back.

"What?" He snapped, squinting from the light.

"Why did Jaxon throw Livi into the pool yesterday?" Hunter asked him since I wasn't able to respond. I saw a tiny smirk appear on his face, then he decided to explain.

"Punishment for dating. A boy." He said, pausing in between.

"That boy is going to be the death of all of us." Hunter muttered, then got the thermometer ready.

He pushed it into one ear at a time and sighed when he saw it.

"40.1," He sighed, giving me my turn to widen my eyes.

"That's so high!" I complained.

"No school." He decisively said, standing up and placing me back down in my bed. I felt a tiny bit of relief, but anger and disappointment at the same time. Now I don't get to see any of my friends, or Jono, and I already missed half the week last week because of my 'cycle'.

"Can you stay?" I whispered as Hunter readjusted my sheets and pillow for me.

"No, your temperature is bad enough without me heating you up too." Hunter said, side eyeing me.

I pouted and began to protest but he cut me off before I could.

"Livi, I said no, okay? Now, sleep." He said. Hunter turned off my light then left, and even though I tried my hardest to stay awake, just for the sake of it, it felt my eyes droop closed and I fell asleep.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

I felt a big hand on my forehead and let my eyes slowly flutter open.

"How you feeling baby?" Asked Hunter, smiling and brushing loose hair out of my eyes.

"Like crap." I sighed, but he looked at me sternly. "Terrible." I rephrased, earning a sympathetic smile.

"I have to go to the actual court today, so I can't stay home." Hunt explained to me and I frowned. "I know baby. Don't worry, I'm not going to let Jaxon skip school to stay home either." He added on.

"Good. I don't want to be near that idiot." I said, glaring at no one in particular.

"Don't say that!" He said sternly, pinching my arm.

"True though." I replied sassily, then let him continue.

"I'll call someone. Don't worry." He reassured me. I was home alone when my parents were in the accident and haven't been able to stay home alone since.

Hunter and I had a bit more of a conversation before he left.

"We're leaving." Said Olli, peeking his head through the door.

"Why did you come in?" I asked, confused as to why he was being slightly nice.

"You're sick, and I know you won't want to see Jaxon. Also, Hunter said that someone will be here in a few minutes for you, okay?" Olli asked, and I nodded. He gave me a quick hug then hurried out of my room.

I just had to last a few minutes on my own and then someone would be here. Whoever that mystery person was, anyway.

I checked my phone, then decided to let everyone know I wouldn't be at school today.

I sent a few polite and simple emails to my teachers, as well as my mentor to let them know, then texted the group chat and Jono.

A few teachers replied almost instantly, 'hoping you get well soon', but none of my friends replied. Fair enough, since school had started anyway.

I must have been checking snapchat and Instagram for about 20 minutes when I heard a key in the front door. Because I hadn't stood up all day yet, I decided to get up and see who Hunter had asked to stay with me.

I got up and flattened my hair, then went downstairs.

My face lit up when I saw him.

"Hey kiddo! Why are you out of bed?" He asked, lifting me up and spinning me around.

-

-

Ooh. Terrible cliffhanger, I think it's pretty obvious who it is, but comment who you think it is anyway!

xx