4; Skipping Rocks

MAEVE WOKE UP WEAKLY IN HER BED, with no one next to her. Her head hurt, and she probably couldn't walk yet. She was in the same clothes as she was days before when she fainted so she smelled absolutely terrible, not to mention she wasn't feeling that great either. Maeve would be lying if she denied the feeling of emptiness that plagued her mind when she realized that no one was waiting for her to wake up. Then again, she remembered that she was probably still just a stranger to them. 'They aren't going to get attached to a 20-something-year-old girl just so quickly yet, idiot' she thought to herself.

A quiet knock sounded on the door, so quiet, that if Maeve wasn't completely silent, she would have missed it. "It's Bucky." A gruff voice said on the other side of the door. "Come in!"Maeve replied. He stared at her and saw what her new 'powers' did to her. Maeve looked so tired, even though she just woke up from a mini-coma. "How are you feeling?" Bucky asked her. "Better, I guess," Bucky nodded at the answer. "Well, I came here to see how you were doing. That and um, I wanted to give you these." The urgency in his footsteps showed how eager he was to give you whatever it was. He held up a pair of trousers and a t-shirt. "They aren't really your style I guess but considering that all your clothes were destroyed in the explosion, I had to find something." Maeve smiled, the clothes were horrific, but the fact that Bucky had gone out of his way to do something for her really meant a lot to her. "Wow, thanks, Bucky. I really appreciate it." She replied, opening her arms for a hug. As Bucky hesitantly leaned in to hug her she realized something, "Wait!" she stopped.

"What?"

"I smell really bad, let's raincheck on this hug until after I take a shower!"

-

After the amazing shower in the guest room, Maeve was feeling refreshed. She stopped by at the bank to take out some money and went on a shopping spree. Maeve's job as a barista didn't make much, so she did watch the prices, but she felt a bit happy with herself today. The Avengers were on a mission, and they gave her a small little earbud which gave her access to their intercoms and to FRIDAY. "Where would you like to go, Ms. Conner?" FRIDAY asked. Maeve stopped and wondered for a bit.

"Where's the nearest park?"

She picked up more pebbles and threw them in the pond. Maeve was disappointed in herself, as she had suddenly forgotten how to skip rocks. "How could I not remember?" Maeve said to herself. "FRIDAY," Maeve said to her earbud. "How can I be of service, Ms. Conner?" FRIDAY answered. The fact that Maeve didn't have any powers made her feel like she was very different from the rest of the Avengers. It made her feel a little lonely. But she was used to it, her dad was basically non-existent and the mother that cared for her was dead. Having FRIDAY around made her feel a little less alone.

Her eyes were heavy with disappointment at the fact that she had completely forgotten how to do something that practically made her childhood. "Can you google how to skip rocks?" She asked, a little embarrassed at the question.

-

When she got back, she found all the Avengers passed out on a big couch; with the exception of Bucky. Maeve decided to leave them be and set down the groceries she had bought. Maeve had been observing them for quite a while now and had noticed that there was nothing they all loved more than food. Scott was always hogging his tacos, Bruce loved cakes, Bucky had a thing for plums, Wanda loved a good steak, and Sam was obsessed with burgers. Being a barista, Maeve had learned a thing or two about cooking. She knew the basics and could make a pretty good lasagna. So with all the ingredients she bought, Maeve was ready to make the best meal the Avengers would have for a very long time.

Scott woke up to the wonderful smell of tomatoes and tacos, he jolted awake to find everyone at the dining table. The clink and clatter of forks were no match to the sound of laughter and chatter between the group. He rubbed his eyes awake and strode by to the dining table to see what the noise was all about, and the sight made his mouth water. "Oh, Scott. You're finally awake. Dig in, I'll grab you a plate!" Said Maeve. "This tastes so good, Maeve. How did you do it? You have to give me the recipe!" Bruce gushed. There were noises of agreement at the table as everyone ate their food. "Scott, you're missing out man. I'm already having seconds!" Sam joked. Scott stared in astonishment at Maeve, who was holding up a plate of hot lasagna, ready to give it to him. He grabbed the plate from her in high-speed, so eager to try it. When he took his first bite, Scott closed his eyes in ecstasy to enjoy the taste. "Wow."

-
A/N:

Sorry for quite the short chapter! I just wanted to show you guys how Maeve was getting used to the Avengers life without powers