21; Chin Up

BUCKY WATCHED MAEVE INTENTLY, she was focusing so hard on her training. Sam was next to him, munching on a taco. "Where's Scott? I haven't seen him all week. I kinda miss his annoying company." Bucky joked. When Sam didn't answer, he looked at him. Sam was a good man, but a terrible liar. He started to sweat a little extra and dart his eyes around the room to use as inspiration for an excuse.

"H-he's busy," Sam replied halfheartedly.

"Doing what?" Maeve asked after overhearing the conversation. She sat down next to Bucky and immediately was wrapped in a bear hug. "Buck! No-I'm sweaty!" She giggled. Bucky continued to squish her tiny body.

"Seriously, though. Sam, where is he?"

Sam sighed and there was a look in his eyes, it was him deciding whether or not he should tell them, but in the end, he didn't. "Scott's not here. I don't think he will be. That's all I can say to you two." He concluded. Sam got up and headed towards the door and turned right. Then he was gone. Bucky finally released her from the hug as he noticed how sad she looked.

"What's wrong, Maeve?" He asked. She shook her head, "I just feel shitty, you know? What if it's something I did?" Bucky brushed a stray strand of hair that fell to her face. "Relax, doll, it's probably not." He replied. Bucky didn't know what was happening at all to Scott either, but all he could do now was comfort Maeve when she was worried.

"He's probably just at home with his kid, he has a kid right?"

"Yes but...It's Scott! He wouldn't just ignore me and leave."

-

Despite all the circumstances,  Bucky tried his best to keep the situation sanguine. He chatted with her relentlessly and tried to make her day a little brighter. He knew how much time they spent together and he saw how much fun they always had together joking and laughing around. Bucky had the day off today, so they decided to go out for once. 

Maeve's face was the opposite of spirited, she struggled to find even a little bit of light to the current problem. Still, she laughed at all of Bucky's sad jokes and ate all the food he bought her. She was glad that he at least knew what to do to make her feel better. They sat in a very vintage looking diner. "When I came out of the ice before the battle of Wakanda, this is the first place I thought of. The fries are amazing, trust me." He gushed. Maeve giggled at him, she loved seeing him talk about the things he loved. 

"Tell me more, Buck."

"Really? Okay-Well, this place has the best atmosphere. I also know the cook, Joe. He's the best and I'm sure he'll make our food extra delicious."

A thin, middle-aged woman strode by to their table. "Oh my gosh! Is that you, Bucky? It's been too long!" She said with a big smile on her face. The woman was wearing a waitress's outfit and held a notepad in her had. "Yep, it's been a while, Moira," Bucky replied with an open-mouthed smile. Moira's smile was almost contagious. 

"And is this your girlfriend? Wow, she's such a beauty!" said Moire, making Maeve's face turn 50 shades of pink as she received the compliment. 

"It's nice to meet you, my name is Maeve." She shyly introduced herself and stuck out her petite hand. Moira eagerly shook it. "So what can I get for you two lovebirds?" She asked, flipping open her notepad.

"I'll have a burger please, with a side of your cheese fries. Ah, and a vanilla milkshake as well," said Maeve, Moira nodded and jotted it all down.

"I'll have whatever she's having." Added Bucky. After they were done taking orders, Moira strolled back into the kitchen humming an odd tune Maeve had never heard of before. As they conversed, Bucky couldn't help but notice how sad she seemed. 

"You really do care about Scott, don't you?" He asked half-heartedly, Bucky was kind of the jealous type. He really didn't want to know, but for the sake of her feelings, he knew he had to ask. She nodded, admitting to it. She sighed heavily and continued to drink her milkshake that had just been served. 

"Well, of course. I mean he's my best friend! We did almost everything together. I even willingly let him leech off of my Netflix account!"

Bucky nodded, itching to say something out of jealousy. Even he didn't have her Netflix account! Not that he knew what it was...Still, Scott had something he didn't. "Come on, doll. Chin up, he will come back. I know he will. You know, it even sounds like you got a little thing for him."

Maeve silenced for a moment, before cracking up. She grabbed his face and squished his cheeks and pecked him on the lips, immediately shutting Bucky up. She kissed him, he couldn't stop thinking about it made him want to turn into mush.

"You are so adorable when you're jealous, you know that?"

-

After dinner, they strolled down the noisy streets of New York hand-in-hand. "Well, this is nice. It's so chilly." Maeve remarked, a chill sending down her spine. Bucky shrugged off his coat, "Here." The coat was thick and big, kind of making Maeve look like three little boys in a trenchcoat. Still, his heart still skipped a beat at the sight of her.

"T-Thanks."

The cars sped by and the colors almost blended in together. The neon city lights almost outshined the stars in the sky. The people were colorful as well, children, drag queens, couples just like Bucky and Maeve littered the sidewalks. A pink food truck caught Maeve's eye.

"Look! Crepes!" She exclaimed in excitement, her eyes glimmered and shined as she scurried to get in line. Bucky had grabbed the coat she was wearing or else he would have lost her in the crowd, "Woah! Relax, doll!"

They settled on a bench at the park with an overview of a lake and the city. Bucky glanced at Maeve as she happily nibbled on the strawberry crepe, "I feel like I should have ordered vanilla instead, Va-nee-lla. Hm, that's such a weird word! Oh man, they even added strawberries. I dig the cream also, hey do you know how they make cream?"

A small smile slowly started to form on his face as she continued to ramble on about random things. 

"Oh and also, I have this friend who owns a bakery and he's really good at baking cakes! Like crazy good, you know we should go visit him sometimes, although it's on the rich side of town. I've only been there twice in my entire life! And I -"

She stopped. "What is it? Do I have something on my face?" She asked, a grin still on her face.

"I love you." He declared softly.

Bucky didn't notice he had said that, but when he did, it was already too late. "Oh, shit- I mean- Uhhhh I d-don't love you. I mean I lurve you but- yeah no let's just go home." he stuttered out. Bucky stood up abruptly and stalked away. He cursed at himself, how could he think she would say it back when he learned just yesterday that his feelings for her were reciprocated. He struggled to keep his composure and failed to notice she wasn't at his side. Suddenly, a fast pitter-patter of footsteps sounded. It got faster and louder and before Bucky could turn around he was hit with a forceful object with arms wrapping around his neck.

"I love you too!!!"

 She yelled and jumped in his arms. The impact startled Bucky made him bring both of them to the ground. She started giggling and it triggered him to howl with laughter as well. She peppered his neck with tiny pecks as that was all she reached with her tiny body. Their laughter died down and they stared at each other, "I love you. I love you. I love you." She disclosed, all Bucky could do was beam in delight.

"Hey, say it back!" She whined, faking a small pout on her lips.

"Okay, okay. I love you too, Maeve. I love you, I love you, I love you." He replied. Their lips met once again as he embraced her tightly. Maeve's day was definitely made. She was so happy he  said that.

"Doll, you don't know how long I have wanted to tell you that."