46; Fifth Graders In Space

"OKAY. GET IN GUYS."

Maeve has never been inside an airship that big before. "I thought we were going to Mars. It's bigger than when I went to Vormir with Nat." Hawkeye remarked. They called him last minute, and he was not too happy about that.

"Yeah, we just wanted to impress the new space adventurers." Bruce joked, motioning his arm to Maeve, Bucky, and the others who had not yet been to space.

"Woah!!!" Maeve gawked at the interior. She ran up to the sides of the ship and trailed her fingers as she ran around like a child. Peter P joined her and they giggled, trying to ease the tension. Everyone was a little scared, especially after Seraphina pummeled Thor into the infirmary. The Wakandans had withdrawn from the fight after their own country was attacked multiple times. If T'Challa wasn't there for them, it would be disastrous.

"See?" Bruce said, making Clint laugh. "Oh it's the newbie." Clint states, walking over to her. She was seated on one of the lined seats for the members, and was currently fumbling around with her fingers in anxiety.

"Hey, we haven't met before. I'm Clint."

Maeve looked up, puzzled at the man towering in front of her. She tried to stand up, but was restrained by the seatbelt, so she was yanked back down. Clint chuckled, holding out his hand for her to shake. She took it and shook it profusely, "Yeah. Yeah I know you! You're Hawkeye."

Bruce cleared his throat, stopping every member on the team from mingling around. Once they all got to their seats, he put on his glasses and pulled out a tiny book.

It took him a while to open the tiny book with his huge green fingers, and when he finally got to the page he wanted he cleared his throat again.

"Okay. We are going to space soon and here are a few things you should know about your new space suits."

Bucky tugged at his spacesuit, feeling the foreign material brush against his chest.

"Space is cold, your suits are specially designed for your comfort and agility, and most specifically for your oxygen. You can press the button on the side of your chest and the it will provide you with oxygen."

Everyone immediately pressed in curiosity, which turned on their oxygen provider. A translucent hologram spread around their face and covered their entire body.

"It will protect you from the cold. Oh and they are all gravity suits, so yeah if you're isolated in space you will float downwards. So- don't" Sam interrupted. There was a little bit of isolated laughter from the back, coming from Maeve.

"I'm sorry it's just...no one laughed."

"God, are we done? I feel like a schoolgirl listening to this stuff." Scott said, leaning back on his seat. He figured that since he had already been to the quantum realm many times, space was basically the same thing.

Bruce rolled his eyes playfully, "Alright we're going now."

The jet slowly lifted itself into the air, halted and abruptly zoomed past the forest and up into the sky. Maeve never got airsickness, but she was feeling her lunch around her stomach.

"Oh, god. I can't do this. I cannot do this." She heard Bucky mumble to himself beside her. She slowly turned around, trying not to throw up from the extreme speed and high altitude. She carefully rested her hand on his metal arm, snapping him out of his panic attack.

"Hey, you're okay. You're okay. I'm here." She cooed, stopping him from hyperventilating too much.

Bucky's eyes darted to her, "I can't do it. I can't do it."

Maeve intertwined her hands with his, and he reluctantly gripped it back. "If you say you can't do it, you'll never do it. So you're alright, Buck. I'm here, everyone's here."

Bucky nodded, taking in her words, and now he finally calmed down a bit. Forcing a smile, he tried to make himself a little less scared by the situation and savoring her comforting, warm hand.

"Yeah. Yeah, I know. Thanks, doll."

Doll. Doll. Doll. She missed that name. No one could ever call her that, except for him. She missed him even more but he's not hers anymore. He's not Maeve's Bucky anymore. He wasn't even just Bucky. He was Dominique's Bucky now, and there was nothing she could do about it.

After thinking that through, she yanked her hands away, doing her awkward, teethy smile at him again.

At first he was confused and hurt but it probably was stupid of him to think she'd enjoy holding his hand for no reason other than the hand belonging to him.

"20 minutes till Mars, guys." Sam announced into everyone's earpiece. Maeve wondered how Sam was so composed, he had never even been to space before. But she realized how much responsibility Steve Rogers put on him and Sam probably felt obligated to be the leader and never be scared, ever.

-

MARS

Mars was exactly identical to how Maeve expected it to be. It was dusty, red and dry. "TONY, are you there?" She asked, voice wavering.

"I am. You good, Maeve?" TONY replied, her RED glowing at his speech. She swallowed a lump in her throat, "Check my vitals, please." Maeve waited for a moment, before he finally replied to her.

"Everything is fine, no need to be scared."

Suddenly, steamy heat just entered every orifice of her body. She sighed in comfort and satisfaction.

"TONY? Did you do that?" She asked, still a bit worried. What if her suit was malfunctioning? What would happen then? Was she going to die?!

"Yeah. It's me. I was worried you were having a panic attack. This suit doesn't contain your usual panic solutions, so I compromised." TONY declared.

"Oh, thanks. I really appreciate it."

TONY didn't reply after that, and she went on her way back to the team after observing the environment.

"Where are the Guardians?" Scott asked.

Suddenly, a huge lump of rocks crashed onto the ground right beside him, just barely missing his feet, making him yelp in surprise.

"HERE!" Peter Quill yelled through his mask, blasting off the familiar creatures.

"Oh."