58; What Now?

"I DON'T CARE IF SHE'S BUSY, I NEED HER TODAY!"

Fury yelled in the phone like his life depended on it. After the talk in Maeve's bedroom, she was sent on a month long mission. It was horrible for Bucky. He thought that when she ran away from them on Mars was the hardest thing, but this was worse. Way, way worse.

"Fury, she's on a mission. She's busy right now, can't you get Peter to do this for you?" Sam reasoned. The phone was on speaker and Dom, Bruce, Wanda, Bucky, Scott and Sam were all in the lab. The were listening in as Nick Fury chewed Sam out.

"We should just call her." Dom whispered. Scott closed his eyes and shook his head. "Fury, she's in Japan right now-" Sam said, massaging his temples in annoyance.

"This mission is extremely important." Nick argued. Wanda groaned.

"Then why can't you let one of us do it?"

Nick fell silent for a while, but when he finally spoke again, he was quieter.

"Because I've already lost Stark and Rogers....and Romanoff. You are all that's left to protect this earth."

Everyone was taken aback by the sudden worry and care in his voice. No one had ever heard Nick Fury like this.

"Conner's the only one that can do this job, she's the strongest out of everyone here."

"That's an overstatement, what about Wanda?" Dom asked quietly, rolling her eyes. Bucky shushed her.

"So send her to me as soon as she's available."

Then he hung up.

-

"Well, that was pretty terrible." Scott said, only to receive a pointed look from Bruce. Everyone was having dinner in the dining room, which was rare. They all shared four big pizzas that Scott ordered. All Bucky could think of was how much Maeve loved pizzas. 

"Guys, I have to tell you something..." Wanda announced, shushing the group. She looked down at her lap and then her eyes were focused on everyone again. "I want to leave the tower." 

Sam squinted, "You want to leave the Avengers?"

Wanda furrowed her brows and shook her head. "That's not what I said, Sam. I want to live somewhere else." Bruce sighed,  "How are we going to contact you? It wont be easy as it is now..." 

She shook her head, "I want to be independent...look - Strange offered me a room at his place. I want to stay there."

"Strange wants you? For what?" Scott scoffed, his voice was muffled at the amount of pizza stuffed in his mouth. Bucky wasn't interested at all in this conversation, he kept checking down at his phone.

Bucky: sam said i probably shouldn't bother you on a mission

Bucky: but i miss you a lot

He continued to eat his dinner after that. Bucky didn't expect an immediate response, but he sure hoped for it. He listened to Wanda drone on and on about how she felt too grounded in the building and wanted to be free and blah blah blah...

"And that's why I think I should go live with him for a bit." Wanda concluded. As if on cue, his phone buzzed in his pocket, jolting his torso in response to the sudden feeling. Everyone fell silent to stare at him, Bucky was embarrassed.

"Sorry, accident..." He nervously chuckled. They stared at him for a good 3 seconds before turning back to Wanda. "Just as long as you respond to our calls quickly." Sam sighed, bringing his hands on his knees and rubbing them. Bucky always noticed that weird habit. Sam did it when he was unsure of things, or if he didn't believe what he was saying.

Bucky was dying to see the notification, so he grabbed his plate, washed it quickly, and jumped on his bed. It felt unfamiliar, he had been so used to sleeping in Maeve's room. It was almost scary how much he missed her, but they really didn't even have much time to talk, considering everything that's happened to the both of them.

He was going to explode from the anticipation, so he took his phone out of his pocket faster than the speed of light.

Instagram: samwilson has followed you!

It felt like a slap to the face. No - more like a bitch slap. Seriously? Bucky had just gotten into instagram, like Maeve showed him, and he didn't understand one bit of it. The only reason he agreed to make an account was so that he could make Maeve happy. 

But just as he was about to put his phone away and practically cry himself to sleep at the utter dissapointment, his phone buzzed.

Maeve: miss u too! <3