22; Monologues

THE NEXT MORNING MAEVE WAS AWOKEN BY A SURPRISE; she was informed by TONY of the disappearance of the Avengers, but FRIDAY had calmed her down when she learned they were all merely on a huge mission. Maeve feared it was separation anxiety, but she missed Bucky so much. She didn't like it when people left without notice, it reminded her of abandonment. Still, she made the best out of a lonely day and settled to make her own breakfast and watch some Netflix.

The ding of an elevator caught her attention as she cautiously turned around. It was Scott. She jumped from the couch and rushed to hug him. "Scott!" She practically screamed. She hugged him so tightly she could hear him groan in pain, but the weird thing was...he didn't hug back. Maeve pulled away and looked at him?

"Scott?" She asked, tearing up. He sighed, it wasn't until she took a step back when she actually got a good look at him. He looked battered and beat, sunken in eyes and dark moons imprinted under them. She hit him on his chest, full-on freaking out. He had been gone for a week and a half but to Maeve, it felt like a year.

"What the fuck, Scott? Y-you can't just disappear and not tell me! You're my best friend!"

She chuckled dryly wiping away her stray tears. Still, he refused to answer and kept his emotionless demeanor. Her smile dropped when she realized it.

"Maeve, let's- let's stop being friends. I can't-" Before he could finish, he turned around and walked back to the elevator, afraid that he'd break down right in front of her. He forced himself to be happy for her, but he never acknowledged how he was hurting himself in the process, how much he was actually breaking his own heart.

-

Well, that was it. The end of their friendship, something Maeve cared for so deeply. It was something she loved so much in her heart. She remembered how they always played video games, how they cooked together, the infinite amount of inside jokes they shared, and how much fun they had.

She didn't know how to feel, just never imagined it would end this way. When Bucky came back from his mission, she didn't let him know what had happened. "Scott's back, he informed." She nodded. "Aren't you going to go and see him?" He asked, confused. Maeve faked a laugh and shook her head slowly, "No. It's fine."

Bucky sensed something was wrong, but he didn't want to push it. He opened his arms for her, hoping she would accept him and lay in bed with him after a tiring day of fighting bad guys. Maeve giggled and snaked into his arms, her head on his chest. He kissed her hair and she breathed in his scent.

"I really want to go to Paris, you and me, it will be so romantic." She sighed, dreaming of the City Of Love.

"I want to go to the cinema with you, I want to wear a red beret and smoke luxury cigarettes. I want to ride bikes around the neighborhood and drink coffee and eat croissants. I want to own a poodle and drink champagne like there's no tomorrow." She muttered, staring up at him. Bucky chuckled at her little monologue, it made him love her even more. He appreciated the hope she had in her, she had something that he didn't.

"You are my Paris." He replied, "You are the city and home I'll ever need. You're beautiful."

Maeve was silent for a while before tears started to well up in her eyes, though they were happy tears. Bucky looked worried, "I'm sorry, Doll, was it somethin' I said?"

"No," She laughed between sniffles, "It's just- no one has ever said that to me before."

Bucky smiled at her glee and innocence, how happy she looked just by that one statement. It kind of scared him, how much he loved her. He would kill for her.

"Well, I said it once and I'll say it again. You are so beautiful and I'm over the moon to be with you. I mean- I'm one hundred and two years old, and you're twenty-four, with so much left to do and you choose me. You know what I've done yet you chose me. You are my Paris." He spoke with so much love in his words that Maeve had now fully believed they were star-crossed. She couldn't help it anymore and kissed him deeply, her lips tasted like Pepsi cola and cherries. The way she kissed him, so innocent, so care-free. He felt impure just by being next to her.

"Okay, enough about these tear-jerking speeches. Let's get some sleep, yeah?"

-

Maeve woke up very quietly, afraid to wake up the one sleeping next to her. It was 6 AM and she was getting ready to train again. Her so-called energy powers were finally starting to get under her control and she could finally send powerful blasts to her liking. Of course, they still needed to be perfected. Wanda and Peter Quill were ready to take charge in place of Scott, who was working on fixing his suit with Hope. She didn't know what to expect when he said he wanted to stop being friends with her, but Maeve definitely didn't expect him to completely avoid her at all costs.

After training, Maeve left to get some pizza at Papa Reno's to maybe coax Scott back to her, but the only person that ate the pizza like there was no tomorrow was Peter Quill and Peter Parker. They battled for the pizza box like it was a real battle.

Wanda and Maeve sat in the common room, painting their nails together. Maeve painted hers' a dark shade of blue, while Wanda settled on a maroon color. "So, spill, girl! How are you and Bucky?" Wanda asked excitedly. As Maeve gushed about her experiences with Bucky, she couldn't help but notice how Wanda was listening so intently. She really did care about Maeve as much as Maeve did for her. She noticed how her eyes lit up when she told her that they said their first 'i love you's the other day and how she had a small but evident pout on her lips when she talked about Scott. Wanda was like a sister to her.

"Oh, well. It's not really my place to say but...I have to tell you something before curiosity kills you." Wanda reluctantly told her. Maeve looked up from her perfectly painted nail, "Yes? What's up?"

It took a while for Wanda to say it but she did, "Scott loves you Maeve, and it's so different from the way you love him. He loves you a lot, even so, that his thoughts are so loud for me to overhear. I can't help it, no matter how much I try to shut it out."

Maeve's eyes were as wide as saucers as her brain tried to process the words she had just heard.

"He loves you so much it's hurting him."