25; We Have A City To Save, Again.

"MORE BLASTS HAVE BEEN REPORTED AROUND MULTIPLE AREAS OF NEW YORK," the news reporter said on the TV. "Will we be expecting more of these highly radioactive energy blasts? Residents of the affected areas are being evacuated as we speak. The military is at war with new species that pose as humans, it makes it harder to identify them. There have approximately been at least 100 deaths revolving around these flashes of light. The most important question is, what will the Avengers do?" 

Everyone laughed as they gathered up to watch the news. "They really expect us to do everything around here, huh?" Sam asked, taking a drink from the cooler. He threw one to Maeve and she caught it perfectly without having to look at him, impressing Bucky. She cracked open the soda can and took one big swig. 

It was currently the afternoon, and some of the Guardians had to leave for an urgent meeting with the Ravagers. Only Nebula and Thor remained. Scott was nowhere to be seen, it was a normal thing now. He usually only came when he was needed and would spend his free time with Hope Pym. Maeve didn't like to admit it, but she knew what the problem was because of Wanda. She wasn't going to do anything about it, though.

They continued to watch the news reports of the new flashes. "We always go in there in time. Why do they think we can predict where the blasts will happen? Of course, people will die." Bucky grumbled, receiving sounds of agreement from the others. 

Bruce perked up at Bucky's statement, it was as if a lightbulb was lit up in his head. "We need Strange."

"Really? Doctor Stephen Strange?" Sam asked.

"Yes! He can predict when they will happen. So that's perfect, we ask him for the next few blasts if they will happen again. And we wait there, Wanda can put up a shield." Bruce declared, now adding a few more people that believe in his idea. Maeve was agreeing with him, so was Nebula. Bucky wasn't too sure though.

"Hey man, that's cool and all. But, honestly, he kinda creeps me out. He has these like...scary dead eyes whenever he looks at me. So I'm not gonna be the one that goes to his haunted mansion." Sam shuddered, reminding him of his last interaction with the powerful wizard. Maeve giggled at his response and looked at Bucky.

"Will you do it?" She stared up at him with her big doe eyes he couldn't bring himself to decline.

"Sam, Bruce, I'll do it."

-

Bucky and Maeve stared up at the tall building, it was supposedly where Doctor Strange lived. "You really didn't need to come with me, Doll." He said, kissing her on her nose. Maeve tightened her grip on his arm. He didn't let her touch his metal one, so she settled on the left arm. Yes, it was softer and warmer, but it hurt her a bit to know that he still didn't trust her enough to interact fully with the metal arm. He just didn't want to hurt her.

They slowly walked up to the door and Maeve knocked on the doorbell. They waited for a moment and the door miraculously opened by itself. When they went inside, they were greeted by a musky scent of old books and lavender. They were greeted by bookshelves and vintage items all showcased inside fancy glass cases. 

"Yes? James Buchanan Barnes, are you not?" A man wearing a red cape floated down from the grand staircase. He was handsome and well groomed.

"Yeah, just call me Bucky."

"And who's your pretty friend?" Strange asked, a playful smile on his face. He was very gentlemanly to Maeve. 

"My name is Maeve Conner, it's nice to meet you, Mr. Strange?" She greeted as politely as she could. He floated around them, eyeing them up and down.

"Likewise. Now, what are you two doing here?" He asked, his arms resting on each other behind his back. Bucky sat down on an armchair, only for it to disappear, making him fall on his butt.

"Hey!" 

Maeve couldn't help but laugh at the silly trick. It reappeared again once Bucky got up on his feet. 

"We need your help, Strange. Bruce and Sam sent us." 

-

"Yeah, he said no," Sam said, walking in the living space with a bunch of papers in hand. Bucky sighed, Maeve rose up, frustrated. "Why not? We need help!" She yelled, exasperated. In all honesty, she wanted to stop the blasts entirely. She paced around the room, with Bucky trying to calm her down. Suddenly it was like she was hit by a truck.

"Oh my god. I have an idea."

She didn't tell any of them her 'miraculous' plan, but she told them that it might work or it might end up mortally wounding her. Bucky was not a fan, he did everything in his power to try to convince her not to go through with him. Everyone opposed to the idea (even though they had no idea what is was) knew better than to use force to stop her. She was the single most stubborn person they had ever met, and with her newfound powers, she was probably ready to fight anyone that stood in her way.

Bucky had never seen Maeve in such a determined state that he was almost afraid of her. She told them to inform her immediately when the next blasts decided to occur. They didn't need to though, because as soon as they landed on Earth, TONY had already informed her and she was ready to go.

"Wait, Maeve. One more thing." Said Bruce. He dragged her into his lab to show her his latest invention. It was a yellow suit, similar to the Iron Spider suit. The yellow shades very nicely complemented the subtle purple accents.

"It's all yours, Maeve. I know you're trying to absorb those rays. I figured you'd need some help. And don't worry about TONY, I already uploaded his system in as well. I also installed 500 ways to shoot your blasts incase those aliens decided to give you trouble." 

Maeve stared in wonder and hugged Bruce tight, "Thank you so much. God, what would I do without you?"

She equipped the suit within seconds and as she was about to leave, she was stopped again by Bucky. 

"Stop!"

It was Peter, Wanda, Thor, Nebula, Bucky, Sam, and even Scott. Everyone was fully equipped, ready to help their friend engage in battle. "Don't worry about the radiation, Doll. You're not the only one that was handed those ugly holographic suits. We'll be fine." He smiled at her. She rushed to hug him and kiss him. 

"So what's your superhero name?"Peter asked, "Everyone has one.."

Maeve shook her head, "No time! I'll think about it later, Quill."

"Come on guys, we have a city to save. Again."