Chapter 28; Erik's POV

Daroga and I were both off, still exploring. I decided to go back home and wait for Mina and Christine. They'd probably be returning any minute. I made my way through the tunnels and settled in at my desk. Since Gustave had been born, I hadn't really composed much. That needed to change. I pulled a fresh sheet of parchment, my quill and ink and began to play. Each note hung in the air of the silent underground. I lost myself in the notes. I was so lost that I didn't notice Christine standing beside me. She bent down and kissed me.

"Hello.

Did you have a good time darling?Where's Gustave?

He's sleeping in our room. Did you enjoy your break from us?

Oh, I missed you both dearly. I always do Christine."

I pulled her into my lap and kissed her. She nipped at my lip and I chuckled at her.

"I can tell you've missed me."

I muttered against her lips.

"I always do."

She quoted me and kissed me again. We heard someone behind us.

"I hope we're as happy as them when we marry Daroga!"

I broke the kiss and blushed furiously at Mina.

"Happier I think."

Daroga teased.

"Oh, really Daroga?

Really."

Christine got up from my lap, kissing my cheek as she did. She took my hand and led me to the front room.

"You got your dress Mina?

I did.

When is the wedding?

Tomorrow."

Daroga breathed. I chuckled at him.

"So frightened of marriage?

No. What's there to be frightened of?

Exactly. Nothing to fear. Why, I was practically begging Christine. I had never looked forward to anything so much in my life! Granted, I hadn't had much to look forward to."

Christine looked at me with sad eyes. I kissed her hand and I squeezed it in reassurance. We all sat and talked for a moment. Suddenly, there was a cry from out room. Gustave. Christine got up and so did I.

"You had him all day. I'll get him.

You're the best.

Aren't I?"

I chuckled over my shoulder as I made my way to the bedroom. Gustave's whimpers were small and quiet. He looked up at me with wide opened eyes. His face was bright red. I took him in my arms, with a smile.

"Shhh I'm here. It's alright. Daddy's here."

I cooed as I held him close. He started to whimper, not cry. I held him away from my body and smiled at him lovingly. He needed to be changed. I set him down and changed him. As I did I talked to him.

"I missed you and Mommy today Gustave. Did you have fun? Of course you did. You spent all day with her. Did you miss me...?"

I paused. He gave me a wide smile. I was choked up. I had no real reason to be. He understood none of what I said, but he had smiled at me! I bent down and kissed his head.

"I still cannot believe you're here. That you're my son. I love you Gustave."

He smiled again.