Race To The Top

"You know he's just trying to get on your nerves and he does it because he knows you hate it." Charlie spoke as the twins walked around outside together in the nice heat before heading back for their practice and later their school lesson. "Don't you?" He asked her.

She half nodded, sipping on her melting slush and then twirled her straw around to mix the drink that was once filled with bright colours and now looked grey and brown. "I know he knows that, but it annoys me. He's been on my bad side since he knocked both y and Adam over during out first practice."

"That's the past, it's fine." He explained with a smile. "I trust you can handle him well."

"I can and will, but it's hard when I am focusing on hockey and he's screwing me up." She sighed. 

"He's not a bad person. I know we all got flaws, look at yourself-" She gasped, but he chuckled, wanting to explain himself. "You're very competitive and are shy. Sometimes, neither of those aspects get you anywhere. You gotta let loose and ignore Dean, he will stop. I know it."

She nodded in agreement, they turned the corner and headed towards the dorm building. The siblings' bond is tight and they counted on the other most. They both equally relied on Adam Banks as well. She trusted Adam a lot on and off the ice. She trusted him to have her back at all times when it came to hockey and she promised the same for him. Their past was the past and now they headed straight for the future and nowhere else but up.

As much as Dean annoyed her, she knew he would straighten up on the ice during their games. She figured he was annoying her because not only did he find it funny, but because she reacted every time and she started it by disliking him first because he knocked both her brother and Adam to the ice during their greeting. Callie tried her best to like everyone and it was working, except on Dean Portman.

As much as he had a hot body and looks, she could resist him because of his cockiness and annoying attitude, not only toward her. Callie saw that he acted the same way towards the girls and the boys, but he picked on her the most. She wanted it to end, but didn't know if it would.

Arriving back at the dorm building with Charlie, the twins headed inside and have kind smiles to other kids who were there competing in different events, who also sent them smiles. Together, they walked up the stairs, making it race. Charlie shoved her aside and she laughed, calling him out as he was two steps ahead of her. She skipped a few steps in order to beat him, but both of them being as athletically same did not help. 

She tugged on his jacket, but he got away with a chuckle and turned the corner rapidly, staring down at the steps. She followed his feet, not paying too much attention to where she was going and Charlie scooted aside when he noticed a few people. To their luck, it was Fulton, Jesse, Portman, and Luis coming down the steps together. Callie did not pay attention and smiled widely when she noticed her brother's feet stop because now she could win the race up the stairs.

"Hey!" She called, running into someone. She stumbled down a step, but grasped on to the railing and Charlie grasped onto her jacket, keeping a firm hold on her so she wouldn't go tumbling down the stairs and he'd have to explain why she was all bruised up.

"Woah, hey, Sweets. Miss me?" Dean asked, smirking in a cocky man er. The others were quiet and she swallowed the small lump of fear in her throat.

"Hey Cal, you look beautiful today." Jesse emphasized, being a smart ass to look good, but still meant what he said. 

She smiled to Jesse. "Thanks, Jesse. You look nice in that jacket. Glad we match." She stood up straight with narrowed brows and stared over to Portman, something that immediately got to Dean because he knew then she was frustrated. "No." She scoffed. "Why would I miss a jerk like you?"

"Thought we were friends, Casey." He spoke, hurt by her words. "That's all."

"Firstly, don't talk to me again. Secondly, that's not my name. Thirdly, talk to me when you know my name. Fourthly, stop flirting with me, it's ridiculous how stupid you look when you do it." She puffed, releasing herself from her brother's grasp and continued upstairs.

Dean turned with a cocked brow, nodding to Fulton and tapped his chest with his palm. "She likes it."

"Um, I don't think so." Charlie shook his head.

"You don't know that. Anyways, let's go!" He hollered.

"Yeah!" Fulton called. "Pizza!"

"I like cheese pizza." Luis gawked over the dreamy slice he couldn't wait to have.

"Nah, man, it's gotta be pepperoni!" Jesse shook his head, following the group downstairs.

Entering her dorm room, Callie shut the door and Connie sat up, gazing over to see who it was. Julie lied in her bed reading a book and Connie was listening to music from her Walkman as she folded some of her clothes since she had a mess of it that morning. Meanwhile, Callie sighed with a frustrated head shake, throwing herself on her bed. Lying flatly with her feet handing off the side of the bed and her face pressed onto the mattress, she let out a scream into the bed.

"Wow, what happened to you?" Connie laughed, wondering why her best girl friend looked the way she did. Julie sat up as well with a curious face as her brows furrowed slightly and she set her book down, turning on her bed to face the frustrated girl.

Callie sat up with messy hair and sighed. "I ran into Dean, again."

"And what's the problem?" Julie asked. "I know he's kind of annoying, but the problem?"

"He's so immature and loud, he's cocky and a jerk. I hate him and it sucks that we're on a team together. Why does someone have to look hot, yet act like an idiotic jerk?" She questioned. They looked at her with smiles, thinking something. "No," She shot up. "Just because I said he looked hot, doesn't mean I like him. All right, all the boys on our team are hot, maybe except Averman and Goldberg because they're just...them. But no!" She called, pointing to them.

"We didn't say anything." Connie laughed. "But now that you mention it, what is hot about him exactly?"

"Nothing." She shot.

"Oh yeah, not even the fact that he and Fulton have matching broad bodies and the other boys don't?"

"Nope." She shook her head, sitting up and crossing her legs as she in the middle of her bed. 

"Then what is it?" Julie wondered, setting her book aside for  a little while.

"It's nothing. He's annoying, that's what he is."

"If you say so." Connie sung, lying back and Julie giggled at the girl, whose face wasn't red and was dead serious.