Goodbyes

The next morning, everyone was getting ready to part ways. Tibbles was handing out clothing the team had earned for sponsoring his brand and he handed them their tickets as well. Bombay and players had some team photos done and they would be sent out to all the players very soon. Most of the kids weren't too happy to leave because they didn't want the experience to end. They all wanted to stay together and continue playing. The team they had formed was incredibly strong and every player brought something different to the table.

Sitting on the stairs as she watched everyone say their goodbyes, Callie watched since she couldn't stand for long periods. She had been checked by a doctor in the locker room the night before after her game. She had been given some pain meds and she had been running a light fever. She wore shorts and crop top as everyone else wore light pants and tee-shirts. Only a few wore shorts on tanks. 

Holding an ice pack to her hip, she was told to rest up well for the first few days before doing anything major. She found it hard considering she was to be flying and walking around the airport. 

Walking away from the group, a familiar face smiled and stood in front of Callie. She looked up and gave a weak smile. "Hey, Dean."

"What's up, Babe?"

She laughed at the name. "High as a kite, I'd like to be." She said. 

"Meh, that thing will heal up soon...An'way, guess this is it."

She nodded and went to grab the step to get up, but Dean brought both his hands below her arms and helped her up. Putting all her weight on her one side, she refused to use crutches and trusted herself enough to get herself places, but no one else trusted her, but they accepted her wishes. "Thanks."

"Guess I'll see you around?" She nodded. "Great. Don't miss me too much, Callie." She was lost for words. "Yes," He chuckled. "I know your name."

"See you around...Babe." She said coolly, limping away and he shook his head. She decided to try it out and man, it felt good to call someone else another name, whether they liked it or not. She could see why Dean liked using it, but at the same time she felt wrong for saying it. She felt as if they were dating when she called him 'Babe', but it was a word Dean used to call everyone and if she said it, it meant nothing. 

Didn't it?

"Cal," Adam smiled, bringing an arm around her waist to help. "We gotta go."

"Bye!" The Ducks smiled and waved, heading out to their bus together. Adam helped Callie onto the bus and she scooted over to window seat. Opening the window, she waved to her friends who stood on the sidewalk before hitching cabs to the airport to catch their own flights. 

With a quiet bus ride, Adam nudged Callie's shoulder. He knew the different looks Callie had because he'd seen them all. He dated her before and he kept things simple. He did not smirk or frown, but simply wanted to question Callie about something. She glanced over to him, some of their friends asleep already, some were quiet and listened to music, some were fooling around. 

"What was that about with Portman?" He questioned curiously.

She narrowed her eyes on Adam. "Nothing. He was just helping me off the steps."

"Yeah, but you two never got along. What changed?"

She gasped. "Are you jealous?"

He shook his head. "No, why would I be jealous of him? No one is jealous of him."

"No, we just learned to be friends, I guess. There is absolutely nothing between us. Besides, if one of us liked the other, it would be impossible because I live in Minnesota and he lives in Illinois. Big distance."

He nodded, not too convinced, but took that answer anyhow. "All right." He nods, lying back in his seat. She brought her headphones on and turned up the music on her Walkman. 

Within ten minutes, the entire bus was quiet and half the bus was asleep. Callie was among the few who were asleep and Charlie was among the few who were awake. He head overheard Adam and Callie's conversation, it was rather weird, but he never said anything when she and Adam dated for a few weeks. He stared out the window with a weak smile, looking at everything that passed by. 

He wondered if he would ever see the others again. Or would it just be Charlie and the Ducks from there on out? Or perhaps Charlie Callie?