Ch 2 - Conversation

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

"I wish I had been patient," Henry murmured in her ear. She frowned in confusion, wrinkling her nose as she looked up at his handsome face. "At the beginning of our wedding night," he explained and she saw shame cloud his eyes.

"Why should you know any different?" she questioned, looking at him without guile. She held him no ill will for their disastrous first attempt in the marriage bed.

"I should have thought about it, I just..." his eyes cast their gaze to the window, "I was just so desperate to be near you," he swung back to her, capturing her gaze with his fiery one, "To finally have the union which would make you wholly mine. I have wanted it since the moment I first danced with you."

A blush rose on her cheeks at the thought and she pressed her face into his neck to hide her embarrassment. He chuckled, not needing to see it to know it was there but his amusement was short lived.

"When I realised I was hurting you I was devastated, it was the last thing I wanted. I knew the mechanics of the thing, but not more, my father died before we could talk of the difference between making love and performing duty," he nuzzled her hair. "I was but ten and four."

She squeezed his waist tighter. "I'm sorry you were so young, it must have been exceptionally hard to lose your father and take his title at such a young age. How did he pass?"

"A carriage robbery gone wrong," he said tightly. "He was trying to save another passenger when he got shot in the back." Rosannah gasped at such horror and pressed little kisses into his throat, a small comfort indeed. A tear formed and rolled down her cheek at his suffering. She couldn't bear the thought of his pain.

"Thank you for your empathy my love," he brushed her tear away, "I confess it was a hard time, but now so long ago as to not cause the agony it once did, more than ten years have passed."

"Was your father a good man?" she asked, not truly able to picture becoming agonised at the death of her own father.

"The very best," he murmured. "He and my mother were perfectly suited in that way."

Rosannah thought of the gracious lady who had bestowed her with affection and acceptance. "I like your mother," she admitted freely, "she has been very thoughtful. I would be lost were not for her help in preparing me for my role."

"I can admit she is rather fond of you too. She told me she knew you were special when she saw a light in my eyes on the night of the Grosvenor's Ball. Apparently it had not happened since my father passed." He sighed and rubbed his cheek against the top of her head. "She loves you because you make me happy, and she owns the more she knows you, her affection only increases."

Rosannah raised her head in bashful pleasure at his words, "I'm so glad I could do that for you. Please do not trouble yourself about our first... attempt, I confess that hearing the reason for your haste has given it a rather rosy glow, I now look upon it with fondness."

He quickly returned his gaze to hers and she saw doubt in his look. "Truly Grayson, I could never be unhappy at hearing of your desperation for me. It makes me feel so wanted. I fear it is not an emotion I am used to."

She saw the truth of her words take hold of his heart letting the shadow flee.

"I believe you will get used to it very soon, for I suspect my desperation for you will not fade." He looked meaningfully into her eyes. "You should feel wanted, because indeed you are. It is a crime that you have not felt it up until this point."

His jaw ticked repeatedly and she knew his anger at her parents was simmering once more. Unwittingly she had given him another parcel of information that seemed so normal for her, yet troubled him exceedingly.