Ch 3 - Amblethorpe Park

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

The horses trotted happily in front of the carriage, tails swishing as Henry drove over the crest of the hill to bring the house back into sight. The lake shimmered in the late morning sun and caught her breath. Rosannah pressed herself against his side, her arm under his, hand on his thigh under the blanket.

They had set out to explore Amblethorpe Park with a picnic after enjoying a relaxing morning in her chamber. The last few days had been heavenly but Rosannah confessed she found much needed refreshment in venturing out of doors.

It was the third morning since their marriage vows and she was sorrowful that time was passing so fast. The thought of leaving this private bubble and re-joining the London society was fair depressing, but it was imperative that Henry return to his business and Parliamentary responsibilities.

The fact that he had withdrawn for a whole week at the height of the season spoke volumes about his feelings. She was honoured by his gift of time alone together and felt it had cemented their marriage in a way that remaining in society could never have achieved, being surrounded at all times.

"I wanted you to see the house from this vantage point." Henry brought the carriage to a stop. "This is my favourite aspect." He let go of the reins with one hand and curled an arm around her shoulders.

"I can understand why," she admitted, "it is magical."

The sun bounced and glittered on the surface of the lake which from this angle seemed to stretch to the very wall of the house. Amblethorpe itself was a soft yellow brick, the large white framed windows were evenly spread over three levels, with an added fourth level of smaller windows for the attics and servants quarters.

The centre of this rear elevation boasted a vaulted roof and columns leading down to a generous terrace. Rosannah could picture sitting out in the sunshine with Henry enjoying the spectacular view.

It was strange to think she had become the mistress of this magnificent park, she hoped desperately that she wouldn't bring it into disgrace through her actions. Her mother had warned her that she could be easily cut direct by people who took offence to her bumbling words. It was the last thing she wanted to encumber upon her husband. Her mother had advised she spoke as little as possible.

She was so glad that her mouth worked adequately while speaking briefly with a few of the servants this morning. But she had been feeling safe upon Henry's arm and it was merely a simple conversation with general pleasantries.

She would have to undergo a private discussion with the housekeeper Mrs Wingrove soon. It was imperative to build a satisfactory relationship to aid the running of the household and the thought was half terrifying.

The added pressure of being a Duchess was burdensome. The expectations were much higher than when she was just a Baron's daughter.

But yet, many of the servants had served the Foxleigh family for generations and there was a curious sense of personal relationship. Twas not something she was used to, but she did welcome it – in truth its nature was appealing.

Despite her upbringing she truly believed that servants were people in their own right, not merely chattels to do others' bidding. It was an uncommon view and she was surprised but tremendously relieved that Henry seemed to share it.

Her parents were among those who completely disagreed and although they thought they were fair, they were strict and unyielding in a way that would not allow compromise, no matter what the circumstance. They were to be put first in every situation, the lives of those that served them were unimportant and irrelevant.