Ch 19 - Halcyon Days

Copyright  to VedaPettigrew

Rosannah's skirts billowed behind her as she ran giggling from her husband, determined to escape him as he searched through the maze behind her. She had narrowly missed him by darting into another gap but felt sure he had caught sight of her skirts as she skipped around the corner.

"Come out my pretty wife," he taunted wickedly, humour weaving through his tone. "If you keep running, it will only make it worse for you once I find you."

Rosannah could not stop the laugh that escaped and had to dash away again as the noise alerted her eager husband of her whereabouts once more.

They had been alone for four whole weeks. Four absolutely wonderful weeks. Possibly her favourite month in her entire life. She had told him so just last night as they discussed the invasion of guests that were due three days hence.

"Mine too," he agreed. "For though our time here after the wedding was absolutely wonderful and will always be beloved in my memories, now we are so much more at ease with each other."

"Exactly my love." She rolled on top of him, kissing his chest before laying her head in the same spot. "Twas a delightful time, when I first realised what love should be." She rubbed her head against him affectionately as she remembered them together in this very room, learning about each other and solidifying their marriage. "But now, it feels so free. So easy. I feel like we have been married for ten years."

"Indeed," his hand brushed up and down her skin, tingles erupted along her spine.

"When I was having tea and biscuits in the servants hall yesterday, Mrs Wingrove said that she could not believe how much more relaxed I was. I think she meant my speech. Do you know Henry, I have not stuttered for months? And I think that 'tis down to you, making me feel so comfortable. I must confess the delight it brings me."

"I had noticed my love, and it brings me great joy also. But I think Mrs Wingrove sees more than that. Your whole demeanour has changed; your bones do not seem so stiff, you carry your head high, you laugh and smile your real smile much more often. I do not take the credit..."

"You must my love. For 'tis the way you love me. You make me feel safe. Do not fear, I shall take some credit too, for Mrs W also said that you had changed for the better. She declared she had seen you smile more this month than you had for years." She hesitated, then murmured, "Not since your father..." she trailed off, unwilling to hurt him with blunt words.

"I see the truth of her statement and I am glad of it." He kissed the top of her head peaceably.

"You better scowl at a lot of people when they come or the Dauntless Duke will become the Drippy Duke," she giggled softly.

"Never," he growled effectively, making her rub against him in delight. "You take that back vixen."

She playfully refused, which led to a fight that had her pinned underneath him - a very satisfactory ending for both of them.

Rosannah crouched quietly between the hedge and a large statue, looking round it to keep an eye for her sneaky husband. She was not very successful though, for a large arm wound round her waist and pulled her back into a wall of solid muscle.

"Oh there you are my dear husband," she said innocently causing him to guffaw with laughter.

"Oh no," he growled, lowering his mouth to the skin where her neck met her shoulder and kissing it. "Do not think that you can soothe my furious temper." His lips did not match his words as he kissed a well-worn trail along the top of her shoulder. His arm tightened around her waist and the other hand grasped her neck, using his long index finger to point her head towards his and capturing her lips in a breath-taking kiss.