Ch 10 - A Thorough Examination

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Rosannah was about to grab the book from her nightstand when she saw the crumpled letter on the floor. She scooted out of bed and tiptoed towards it, feeling like a naughty child. With a glance at the closed door she crouched to retrieve it and stood up, staring at the folded paper trying to work out if she should satisfy her curiosity.

How had her mother tried to make amends for offending the Duke with her previous missive? Would she try and worm her way into his good graces with lies? Or was she cutting ties? Why did she send The Hatpin?

She should ask Henry or trust that he would tell her if she needed to know. But the answers to her questions lay in her hand. She glanced at the top line and paused, it was not addressed to her. If she should read it, she would be snooping into Henry's private correspondence, no matter who it was from.

But he was downstairs, discussing her health and body with the doctor though she wasn't there. Granted, that was a husband's right so she shouldn't mind, but she felt a mild irritation at being left out.

She looked at the paper, chewing her thumb. It still didn't give her the right to read the communiqué.

The temptation proved too great however. Quickly, before she changed her mind, she flipped the sheet open. Seeing her mother's handwriting made her stomach lurch, but she ignored it and read.

Dear Duke of Amberly,

I am exceedingly sorry to have offended you with my last missive. If I had known your eyes would see it, I would never have presumed such free-flowing speech.

It is a mother's right to be free with her child, and that is my only excuse for causing you affront. Now that I know you have rightfully decided to monitor your wife's postals, I will ensure to show you the proper respect.

Indeed I was pleased to understand from your own hand that you will be enforcing your authority over all her conversations as well, and while she holds many faults, I hope in vain that you will find her conduct proper if occasionally lacking a sense of appropriate speech.

However much it pains me to say, I am sure you are aware of her many failings, despite my best efforts she has not turned out to my full satisfaction. As well as her inability to speak well, in respect to your authority as husband I must also advise you she is liable to laugh at witticisms too readily, her tendency to be overfamiliar with the servants may cause alarm, and she can be wilful and stubborn.

I will not reveal all, for it is your responsibility to correct her now, you must observe the infractions yourself.

However, I enclose a gift from me to you that I have found to be of immense value in training my daughter. It is something that provides excellent motivation to proper decorum. Pain is such a good persuader.

Please consider it a peace offering and a promise that I now leave my position as educator to you dear Duke.

Yours Faithfully

Baroness Winthrop

Rosannah almost laughed, her mother had misread Henry's intent entirely, imagining he meant to monitor her interactions with everyone - she had not realised that his intervention was to protect his Rosie from the Baroness, not to control her as an overbearing husband.

Guiltily she dropped the letter back to the floor then scuttled to the bed. He had only ever shown her respect and kindness, yet she was mistreating him by abusing his trust and reading his letter. Not only that, but she also felt disgruntled about his decision to omit her from the discussion with the doctor. It wasn't right that she should feel that way.