Ch 23 - Out of Sorts

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

"That woman is awful," Sophia muttered, tetchily eyeing the object of her irritation.

Rosannah completely agreed, but felt it was her job as hostess to be respectful of all her guests. So despite the fact that Lady Wilhelmina had unexpectedly accompanied her brother Lord Ravenscroft and his wife without an invitation, and despite the fact that she had been demanding and self-centred for the three days she had been there, Rosannah could not in good conscience, accord verbally to Sophia's blunt statement.

"Perhaps she is merely overwhelmed and discourses at such lengths to hide her weakness," she suggested. Sophia gave a practically inaudible but decidedly unladylike snort beside her.

They were in the formal gardens taking tea and cake under an open marquee. She could hear the faint strains of Papa's piano, carrying through the still air. He had taken himself to his quarters soon after he arrived five days ago and barely emerged since. He was immersed in composing something new and there was room for nothing but music in his mind, she could almost see the notes swirling about his head.

She did not mind though, twas not the first time he was lost to his art after all. Knowing that he was in the house brought her great comfort, and after his mumbled greeting and distracted kiss to her head, she often curled up on his sofa and spent time sewing or drawing, just content to be with him.

A slice of decadent fruit cake sat on the plate before her, though had not yet enjoyed a mouthful. She and Sophia were together at one of the small tables  and most of the remaining female guests were scattered about the rest.

Lady Wentworth had begged off, citing a headache, and was in her room. She had proven an agreeable addition to their party, finding fun with Rosannah and Sophia, but respectfully spending time with every guest. Her husband, while not having the same impishness as James, was humorous and very witty. She could completely understand why the three gentlemen,  including her husband, had become and remained such fast friends.

Viscountess Aldridge and Baroness Deverell were standing acquaintances and had been easy company, allaying her previous worries about hosting as Henry's duchess. Countess Ravenscroft, despite her faux pas regarding Lady Wilhelmina, had proven herself to be another enjoyable guest, all empty-headed pleasantries but a born peacemaker with enough patience to deal with her boorish husband and his even more challenging younger sister.

Though only a few years older than Rosannah, and not the lady of the house, Lady Wilhelmina had placed herself in the centre at every opportunity, and behaved like a queen at court. She was currently seated in the mid of two tables, facing the third and was vociferously putting forth yet more of her opinions on fashions and food, balls, gossip and every other thing that flitted into her head.

Rosannah found she had not the energy for patience today, though if she were truthful, she had been out of sort since her parents' visit. She knew it was the reason she sought Papa's presence daily - it soothed her that even in the midst of his composing fog, his love for her radiated from him, blanketing her with parental affection. Something she very much needed at the moment.

Now though, her lack of patience was exacerbated by the way her head ached something fierce. It was decreasing her sense of reason and she feared it would not be long before she let Henry down by expressing opinions she would normally keep to herself. She found herself jealous of Lady Wentworth's freedom to hide away in the cool of her room, for the heat was only amplifying the problem. She would have to divert the situation soon though, for she saw boredom and frustration on the faces of all the other ladies. None of them enjoyed the way that Lady Wilhelmina monopolised their time.