Chapter 18: Family Tree

Published: 17th May 2019
________________________________
Six year old Harry sat at the end of the classroom, bored out of his mind. His english teacher was droning on about god knows what. He hated english and had stopped paying attention after she walked in. Currently, he was doodling in his notebook, which was supposed to be used for notes, but was snapped out of his thoughts when she mentioned family.

"We will be doing a family tree for classwork. I will give you all a tree template and we will write down our family history like the way I showed you on the board," Harry glanced up at the board. It was filled with complicated lines, but he managed to understand it. She handed out the papers and Harry observed it carefully.

As he observed the paper, he realised he knew no one else in his family. He stared awkwardly at the paper that had been presented to him. He wrote down his name, but didn't write anymore.

His teacher strutted across the classroom, observing all the papers, but stopped at Harry.

"My, why is your paper empty?" she exclaimed, loud enough for the students to hear. Harry's face turned red.

"Um, I.. I don't know my family tree." he stuttered, receiving a look from his teacher.

"Fine, ask your guardian about it and present it to me as homework." she said as the bell rang, dismissing everyone. Harry packed his books and set out for lunch.

*Page Break*

"Harry James Potter," Minerva called out sternly, "come out this instance."

Still no noise.

"Don't make me get you," she warned. After a few moments, Minerva went to his room and took out her wand.

"Homenum Revelio" she whispered.

Her wand vibrated and turned her towards the cupboard. She whipped open the door to see him crouched inside.

"Get out from there now," she ordered. But Harry stayed in.

"No NO, I don't WANNA!" he screeched. Minerva dragged him out of the cupboard.

"For god's sake, it's just homework," she sighed, " there is no need to kick up such a fuss," Harry stood up as Minerva took his hand and sat him down by the dinner table.

"Now what homework do you have?" she inquired, pulling a chair. Harry took out a worksheet from his bag.

"Maths," he said. Minerva took a pencil and gave it to him and he started the worksheet.

*Page Break*

After a few tears and the worksheet was done, they were finished with maths. Minerva rubbed her head.

"Now what is left?" she asked. Harry took out a paper.

"English," he said. Minerva was slightly startled. This was the first time he received English homework.

"Um... well, I have to do a," he gulped. He fidgeted a little, "a family tree."

Minerva felt her heart stop. Of course this day would come. Albus had warned about having to tell him about his parents many times, but she hadn't expected this day to come so early. She beckoned Harry on her lap.

"Harry, you should know that I always love you, no matter what," she started, "you are..... adopted."

Harry's heart sank. She wasn't related to him. His entire life was a lie. His eyes started to water as he crawled off her lap and ran to his room. Minerva saddened after hearing the door bang. She knew this would happen. She went after him and knocked on his door.

"Harry, Harry please come out. I want to talk to you." she pleaded, but no noise came. She wanted to open the door with magic, but she knew that it would just be invasion of privacy.

"Let me talk to you please. I will explain everything to you," she begged. After he didn't respond, she sat by the door and waited him to come out on his own.

A few hours later, the door swung open and a red faced Harry stood. She held out her arms and he ran into Minerva's welcoming arms, sobbing. Minerva rocked him gently.

"Wh- why did they leave me?" he sobbed. She ran her hand through his unruly hair.

"They didn't leave you. A horrible thing happened, so they can't be with you." she explained sorrowfully.

"Did they die?" Harry asked, horror- struck. Minerva nodded and he started crying again.

"How?" he asked, and Minerva started her explanation.

"A dark wizard was after you. Your parents did everything in their power to protect you and died in the process. Everyone in the wizarding world knows this story." she explained and kissed his forehead. She remembered hearing about the Potter's death and how saddened she was.

"What were their names?" he asked.

"James and Lily Potter," she said, "I taught them when they were in school."

Minerva took him back to the table and took out the tree template and started to fill it out, all the while telling Harry about the mischief his father would get up to in his school days.

Once they were done, Harry turned to Minerva.

"Minnie, do you have pictures of them?" he asked hopefully.

"Sadly, no. But why don't you ask Uncle Dumbledore for some. He has nearly everything." she responded as she packed everything in his bag. "Lets go to sleep now."
______________________________
Thanks for waiting so long for me to publish. I know that Chapter 18 was published earlier as well, but that was just a slip of my finger. Hope all my Muslim reader's Ramadan is going great.