1; the thoughts of a father

"I work hard (he works hard) every day of my life
I work 'til I ache in my bones
At the end (at the end of the day)
I take home my hard earned pay all on my own."

    TONY STARK WAS ALOT OF THINGS. He was a billionaire. Genius. Playboy.. and an idiot.

In front of him stood a tall blonde haired woman. She stood awkwardly, twisting her delicate hands on her hip. The bump protruding from her dress was the source of Tony's idiocy. Pepper was standing behind her glaring daggers into Tony. She was thinking the exact same thing. How could he be so stupid?

"It's yours," The woman spoke with a light french accent, answering the question that he wasn't asking. "You could do a DNA test, but I can assure you, it's yours."

"H-how do you know?" Tony sputtered out, still staring at the bump. He remembered this woman, who couldn't, she was crazily smart, he remembered, although the things that had drawn him towards her in the first place were her looks. The woman looked like the definition of model, luscious sandy blonde hair, pale milky skin, her eyes were the hue of the new spring growth, bright and soft all at once.

He definitely remembered what they had done, but still, hadn't they been careful?

"The Christmas party you had for Stark Industries," The woman, Célia, told him. "My husband," Tony's eyes widened at that. "–We weren't married at the time. William and I weren't on speaking terms and you were flirting and I didn't want to be alone."

Tony stared. Blinked, looked to Pepper who had her fingers pinching her nose, before looking over at the woman again.

"I was aware of your reputation, but I thought I was entitled to something fun as well." Tony bit back a smirk. Of what he remembered, they certainly had fun. The night was blurry, as were most nights Tony threw a party. He remembered escorting her out of the room, his hand on the small of her back, her grabbing a bottle of champagne that a waiter had left out. He had flashes of what happened next, nothing concrete. And then he remembered waking up in the morning to a pile of clothes and obvious understanding of what had occurred. But he wasn't stupid. He knew they had used protection though, but he knew they didn't work 100 percent.

"We'll do a DNA test now," Pepper said, butting into the conversations. "We have the resources." Célia shrugged and opened her purse. She handed a smile vial with a swab already in it.

"I was sure you'd all be skeptical," She said. "So I came prepared." Tony choked back a cough. God she was smart, too smart. Wasn't that why he kept flirting with her? Pepper gave her a tight-lipped smile, staring at the small vial. "You can take another sample while I'm here, to be sure I'm not lying."

"We'll be sure to do that," Pepper said, eyeing the pregnant woman. She then turned and left the office, but not before shooting Tony a look that made him want to absolutely disappear.

Stark Industries had dealt with countless pregnancy scares that the lab just had Tony's DNA on file for these kinds of situations. God, what kind of life did he live that they needed that? He sighed, noting that he should definitely give Pepper a raise for dealing with this. Pepper was always put together in how she walked, talked, acted, and dressed. But when she had busted into Tony's office that morning, there was nothing put together about the look on her face. She was fuming, absolutely fuming. 

"Sit," Tony said, pointing to the chair. Célia eased herself into the chair, her hand on her stomach. "Uh, so, uh.. h-how far along?"

"Seven months. They're a strong kid, don't stop kicking," Célia said with a smiles smile. Tony's eyes widened. She had known for that long and had waited to tell him? "Look, I came to you not because I want money but because I can't be a mother."

"What?" Tony asked, surprise in his voice. He had figured that she wanted some huge payout to keep this all quiet and to keep Tony out of the kid's life. He was certainly not parent material. "You're a scientist," Tony said, "it's not like you don't have time for her."

"I'm not ready. I have a dangerous job, Tony. And I'm coming to you because this is your child. If you want to be a father, then I will grant you that. If not, I have in-laws who would help if we asked. But giving this child to you, it feels right."

"Why me?" Tony asked. "Why would you trust me?"

"I know the media has a very negative view of you," Célia said. "But at the end of the day, this is your child too. I can't be a mother, but that doesn't mean you don't have a right to be a father."

Tony felt his throat go dry. He had never thought about fatherhood. His own father had been cold and distant and Tony never wanted to put someone else in that position. What was the chance he wouldn't turn out exactly like Howard? Everything else in his life had.

But then, he thought of his mother, the parent he loved with every fiber of his being. Even when he was a complete jackass, his mother supported him. What would she think about this?

"I need some time," Tony said. "For both the test results and my decision."

Célia nodded and stood up. "I'm here until Saturday," She said as she put a business card down on the desk. "Call me when you decide." She then walked out of the office. Tony leaned back in his chair and covered his eyes. As soon as he was sure she was gone, Tony let out a groan. He had no idea what he was going to do. His brain was screaming to say no, that he was a mess and there was no way he could raise a child. But his heart? His heart was focused on one person.

His mother.

Maria Stark would've loved a grandchild. She would've spoiled the kid rotten. Everything she had done for him, she would've done for that kid and more. He could almost picture a small child sitting on the piano bench with Maria, her hands guiding theirs over the keys. He squeezed his eyes shut, willing away the tears. God, he missed his mom, especially at moments like this. She would've known what to do. Tony laid down on the bed, thoughts of his mother and the choice he had to make running in his head, until eventually he passed out from exhaustion.

____

I'm just coping parts of my old book to fit this one. If it seems familiar, that's why! :)

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

____