Chapter 9: Wings

It had been about a week after the whole reveal. While nobody had talked about it, everyone had it on their mind constantly. It was tragic, really.. Which brings us to the present.

Geno quietly sipped his tea, watching amused at his chattering friends. His red scarf draped over his shoulder, curled up at the bottom on his lap. Steam emerged from the sweet drink as he brought it to his mouth, the liquid slipping into his skull. He and Toriel, Frisk, Papyrus, and Sans had decided to go to a cafe. It had a welcoming aura, with home-made foods.

Geno lowered the teacup onto the wooden table. "Hey, Papyrus, what does a skeleton serve his tea with?"

"I DON'T KNOW, WHAT?" He asked.

"Bone china."

Sans erupted into laughter, while Toriel giggled. This left Papyrus and Frisk with unimpressed looks.

"REALLY, GENO?" He said, looking as if he was going to flip a table over; which HAS happened before, mind you.

"Pfft, haha!" Geno snickered, before a black cloak caught his eye. "Ha!- Eh!?" Geno's sockets widened, as he almost tipped over his chair. He would've fallen over, if not for Sans taking hold of his arm in time.

"You okay bud?" Sans asked. Geno looked up to see the concerned faces of his family and friends.

"Erm, Yeah- excuse me, I need to get some fresh air." Geno quickly got up and pushed his chair in, resting his teacup on the table. He swiftly turned around and walked at a fast pace to the door. He didn't look back to notice everyone giving him suspicious and confused looks.

"Ugh, where is that idiot?" Geno mumbled into his scarf. He looked around, trying to catch sight of the familiar black cloak again. He finally found the skeleton he was looking for, right by a dumpster in an alley, looking at a stray cat on the ground.

Geno muttered a curse before readjusting his jacket. He then walked- or rather, stomped, to the cloaked reaper himself.

"The hell are you doing in my timeline, Reap?" Geno growled. They might have been friends, but Geno took the AU and Timeline business very seriously. If an outsider randomly appeared in an AU, they could risk interrupting the timeline, and in worst scenarios, a forced RESET or a new ending is made.

Reaper turned around with his tired eyes, "..I see you're as feisty as ever, Gen." He said, slurring his words slightly.

"I asked you a question Reap. You know I don't take to RESETS kindly."

"It's been years since an AU has forced a RESET. Calm down Gen.." Reaper mumbled slightly.

The stray cat behind Reaper let out a quiet meow, before running off. It disappeared into the shadows, joining its family of abandoned strays.

"Still! It could happen! I don't understand how you could be so nonchalant!" Geno said, raising his voice. He extended his arm to the right to empathize his point.

Reaper sighed, before looking down at the sidewalk under them.

Geno stared, before sighing as well. He walked towards Reaper, placing a hand on the god's shoulder. He rubbed his thumb on the rough fabric, looking into his empty sockets.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have bursted at you like that. I haven't been the same since.. well, you know."

"I think we've all changed.." Reaper mumbled, before rubbing his sockets tiredly. "It's just.. I didn't mean to get here, you know? It was an accident..."

"..." Geno tensed at that slightly. Reaper, despite being quite the joker, was never one to slip up and make mistakes. Especially when he's constantly on the job. "What's wrong, Reaps?"