Chapter 10: Sweet Dreams

Dream would slip into an alternate set of clothes, more comfy and less intense looking. He always preferred loose clothing, believe it or not. The only reason he kept his old outfit was for memories and nostalgia, though after the war.. the memories seemed to drain of its joy. In all honesty, he had his suspicions of Nightmare being harassed, but didn't act on it. Why? Because in the end, he was naive and couldn't believe the townsfolk would do such a thing.

He looked at himself in the mirror. Usually, he would stay in Ink's realm, but he couldn't access it if he tried. Ink must've locked the Doodlesphere. But what does that matter? Dream didn't want to see him. Not like he hated him, but it was.. confusing.

He sighed. It was only yesterday that Nightmare finally talked to Dream after the huge fight. Dream held out a hand and rested it against his ribs where his SOUL would reside.

'How could I be so goddamn blind?'

FLASHBACK

Dream awoke to a notification from his phone. A special one that is. It could travel across the multi-verse, and could communicate with other AU's. He and.. him, used to use the phone to alert the AU's easily. It became hard work to travel to every single AU, so with the help of a Science! Sans, the phone was invented.

Dream sighed thinking about it, shaking his head, before scrolling to see the notification. It had been a week and nobody spoke to Dream or even texted him, so he wondered what it was about. He lifted the phone tiredly just above his nose, eyes widening at what he saw.

Nightmare! Texted! Him!

He almost squealed. Maybe Nightmare is going to forgive me? Maybe he wants to be brothers again? Maybe-

Dream grinned when he read the message. Nightmare wanted to see Dream at the dead tree in DreamTale! This was amazing news!
Dream thought about what to reply for a good 15 minutes, before settling on a simple 'ok!'.

The positive skeleton then got into his normal attire, his crown, his cape, etc. With a smile, he left his room and went down the stairs. He saw Ink gazing through a window in the living room, visible bags under his eyes. He seems to be in thought- not that Dream blames him.

"Hey Ink, you okay?" Dream asked.

Ink turned around, tiredly looking at him. He shrugged, "Perhaps.." He seemed drained of energy, he then blinked and rubbed his eyes. "What about you?"

"Great, actually." Dream smiled, clapping his hands together. "Nightmare wants to meet me back at our AU, near our tree! Do you think he finally forgives me?" He beamed at Ink, his aura already starting to effect him.

Ink blinked, "..Maybe. Feelings are strange things." He then turned back to the window, indicating he was done talking.

Dream was a bit salty he didn't say yes, but shrugged it off. After all, Nightmare did want to talk to him! Nothing could ruin this day right?..

Well, when he arrived, he saw Nightmare, but something strange was the fact he was in his passive form. Dream was happy of course, but he knew Nightmare could control whether or not he was in his passive or goopy form. So why he was in his most vulnerable state, was beyond Dream.

"Hello, Dream." Nightmare said. He sat beside the dead tree, a content look in his eyes.

"Hi Nightmare." Dream greeted back. He sat beside Nightmare, who flinched at the sudden gesture, but calmed down.

After a little while of silence, Nightmare began. "I'm.. sorry for being a little immature." He said near a whisper.

"..What do you mean?" Dream looked over.

Nightmare then curled up, hugging his knees to his chest. "When I first got corrupted, I could only think about power. I.. I hurt so many.. and why?.. I don't even remember.."

Dream rubbed his brother's back, "It's okay, it's okay.. Nightmare, you weren't thinking straight.." He then wrapped his arm around his torso and brought him close, "Now, why did you call me here?"

Nightmare rubbed his socket with the palm of his hand, "Right, right.." He then turned his body so he would sit across from Dream, but still close enough for them to touch. "I.. I know you know about Error being forced to do his job.. but would you like to know more about the multiverse and my friends? If I remember right, you're quite curious, aren't you?" He smiled.

Dream grinned, "Yes, please tell me!"

"Well, Cross, first of all.."

And the air was filled with stories of Nightmare's friends, with their hobbies and interests. Dream leaned closer to hear more as his chuckles mixed with the comedic parts. Nightmare was pleased to see his brother enjoying it, after all, even if he didn't fully forgive him- he cared and that's all that matters, right?

"Oh! That reminds me.." Dream's smile drooped into a frown. "..Did you know about Ink being SOULless, too?"

Nightmare blinked and sighed, "Yes. If you didn't, I expect you at least had your suspicions."

"Maybe at one point I did," Dream looked at the night sky surrounding the two, "But I must've pushed them to the back of my mind for so long. After all I don't remember."

Nightmare nodded.

"..Why did Error wait until now to tell us?"

Nightmare shrugged, "He told me he tried to a lot but Ink didn't listen. And after his final attempt, he was met with.." He shuddered, "Fate. I think he was afraid of what was to come if he tried once more."

Dream placed his hand on his head, "Then.. whose to say it won't happen a-again?"

The negative skeleton placed one of his hands in Dream's, gripping it tightly. "Then..

"We can only hope that Fate,
is feeling merciful.."

FLASHBACK END

"Oh well..." Dream mumbled to himself. He took his phone out and began texting Blue. "Guess I'll have to see what my destiny has in store for me now.. Can only hope for the best, right?" He chuckled, before sending his message.

Dream:
Hello Blue. I'm sorry for being so blind. I hope you can find it in your SOUL to forgive me. I still have so much to learn- I'm naive, I know. But I want to make it up to you, and Error. Can you ask him if I could hang out with him or something? Please, I want to gain his trust, even if it takes years- not that I would blame him if it did-. Respond when you get his answer. If he says no, that's okay. Just tell him I truly do regret my actions, and I hope we can have a better tomorrow, after all we have to all keep our head up and keep moving towards our future. If we don't hold ourselves up, who will, am I right? Haha.. See you soon Blue. Tell your brother I'm sorry for misleading him and I said hi. I'm sure I speak for both Ink and I when I say so.

He sighed, before getting a bright blue small backpack and dropping his phone in it. He figured he would so some stargazing at OuterTale or go exploring somewhere else. Anything to get him calmed.

His soul beat in his chest as he opened his portal, he was feeling HOPEFUL, for the first time that week. No, determined..

He was determined to fix his mistakes.

——

A/N

I'm sorry for taking so long to get this out. I was procrastinating (again) but school is almost out, so.. more updates, yay!

Also, please check out my new book called 'The Sans Who Didn't Like Musicals' AKA 'TSWDLM'. It's a Sans AU version of The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals. Also, it gets better on the The Meteor scene. Trust me, the other parts were more like practice, but it's getting better. :)