Camping

The only other people that Kevin told about wanting to marry Barbara were his producer; who promised to keep this private, and Andrea of course. She was happy for Kevin. He called Barbara on the idea of camping for a week, and she was totally open to that idea, unaware of Kevin's surprise. Arrangements were made, and the couple were ready to take one week of absence for their vacation come Friday. It was now Friday and Kevin was filming for an episode for his show in front of a live audience. He was wearing a colorful sweater which was what his fans were accustomed to seeing, alongside some blue jeans and sneakers, all while wearing a chef's apron and hat.

"Well guys, the bad news is you won't get to see me next Friday," began Kevin, "I'm going to be camping with my beautiful girlfriend. The Friday after next week, you'll get a wonderful surprise. Speaking of camping, how about I recommend a recipe you can make if you go camping and bring your own grill. One of the many things we often associate with camping is fishing. It's a good sport and is calm and serene. My dad and I tried fishing when we camped once. Tried being the keyword. But anyway, if you're out camping and you manage to successfully catch a fish, I've got the perfect recipe for a grilled fish. I've got salmon in the fridge, so let's use that." Kevin then got some cold salmon from the refrigerator. It had yet to be fileted and deboned. "First, let's introduce a product that will be sponsoring this episode," said Kevin, "my family and I have tried it, Alfred thinks it's incredibly useful when it comes to deboning fish. You can laugh at the title all you want, but might I present to you, The Wunder Boner!"

Kevin then demonstrated how to use the titular product, deboning the salmon. He then filleted the salmon into its pink flesh. "Now that the salmon has been deboned and filleted, let's start the grill and get it hot," said Kevin, "I'd try and cook with a campfire like a traditional camping trip, but I don't want to set fire to the studio. Better safe than sorry folks." This earned a laugh from the audience. Kevin then turned on the grill, adjusting it to the appropriate temperature. "Okay, now that the grill's been set, let's begin grilling this salmon," said Kevin. He then demonstrated how to properly grill the salmon, balancing out the right seasoning, seasoning it with the right balance of salt and pepper. Nothing too salty and nothing too spicy. A few minutes later, Kevin completed grilling the salmon, and it looked good enough to eat. "And there you have it! A grilled salmon that you can do while camping," said Kevin, "smells delicious. Anyway, that's all the time we have everyone. I gotta pack up and meet up with Babs. I'll see you all the Friday after next Friday. Bon Appetit and be good people." He then gave a warm, friendly smile. The cameraman then said, "and that's a wrap everyone!" As everyone left, Kevin took off his hat and apron, generously giving the grilled salmon to one of the staff workers who was hungry. Kevin then clocked out and left the television station in his car. He then drove all the way to Wayne Manor to pack all his necessary items for the trip. He had the proposal ring in one of his camping bags. Bruce let him use the truck they used to camp. This truck had a working refrigerator and phone charging outlets. He packed all his stuff in the truck, and then went to Barbara and Frankie's apartment.

He knocked on the door, hoping Barbara would be there. Babs opened the door and said, "Hey Kev." She smiled and gave him a kiss. "You ready?" Kevin asked. "Yep, everything's packed," confirmed Barbara, "wouldn't mind an extra set of hands to put the bags in the trunk." Kevin smiled and said, "That I can do." Barbara didn't pack too much, just a week's worth of clothes, her swimsuit, hygienic products, some Bat gear in case of an emergency, and ingredients to make smores. Kevin packed a week's worth of food, and the fridge was of good use. Kevin helped Barbara pack her stuff, but he asked, "so you're bringing Batarangs, villain antidotes, and smoke bombs, but not the other suit?"  Barbara smirked and said, "you never know if there's a villain of the week. Besides, if we run into a bear, won't smoke bombs work?" Frankie laughed and said, "I think that'd piss the bear off, hun. Besides, Higgins Lake ain't got no bears, last I heard. Maybe a few other woodland creatures here and there, but nothing dangerous." Kevin sighed in relief at that fact. "But could you imagine if the camp had some lions and tigers and bears?" Kevin joked. "Oh my!" Barbara laughed. By then, they finished loading the truck. "I'm gonna miss you two and your jokes," said Frankie as she hugged them.

"We'll only be gone a week," said Barbara, "I know you'll keep an eye on the apartment while I'm gone." Frankie smirked and said, "Got it. I'll try not to demolish the apartment while you're gone." Barbara laughed, "Oh Frankie..." They hugged one last time and Frankie whispered, "you gonna tell him your surprise?" Barbara whispered back, "Eventually..." Frankie nodded and said, "You two have fun now, ya hear?" Kevin and Barbara then got in the truck as they waved goodbye, driving off. As they drove, Barbara asked, "Want to listen to The Shape of Water audio book?" Kevin got Barbara that audio book for her birthday. He smiled and said, "Sure. What page are we on?" Due to her eidetic memory, Barbara easily said, "Page 160." She then put the CD in and played the audio book. Three hours later, they were at Higgins Lake. They went in, looking for a good place to make camp. They soon found the perfect spot near a bathroom. The ground had green grass. This bathroom also had a shower, the perfect spot to camp at. "Let's set up camp here," said Kevin. He then stopped the truck, and he and Babs got out to stretch their legs. Once that was done, Kevin and Barbara then set up the tent. This tent was large enough to fit two people. They put it on top of the green grass. The grass was nice and not so irritable on their skin.

"Want to take a dip in the lake?" Barbara offered, smiling seductively at Kevin. "Sure, did you bring your swimsuit?" Kevin asked in reply. "You know it," said Barbara as she winked at him. "I'll change into my trunks in the bathroom," said Kevin as he got the packing bag that had the swimming trunks. He then went to the bathroom to change into his swim trunks that had a Mortal Kombat theme. He came back wearing his swim trunks and sandals, towel and sunscreen in hand. "Babs, you ready?" he asked. Barbara came out of the tent, wearing a Batman themed two-piece swim suit and flip flops. Years ago, Barbara would've been too insecure to wear a bikini that revealed the scar on her hip where she was shot, but Kevin never judged her because of her scar(s), and Barbara never felt self conscious around Kevin because he always told her she was beautiful. Kevin's jaw dropped, his eyes widening. "Totally ready. Like what you see?" Barbara asked, flirting with him. "Oh definitely," said Kevin, "shall we?" He offered his arm, and Barbara took it, walking arm in arm. They went to the lake, swimming in it for an hour. After that, Kevin grilled some burgers for him and Barbara. After the meal, they had some smores, and once nightfall came, Kevin and Barbara put a sleeping bag large enough to fit two people in, and the two lovers slept in the large sleeping bag inside the tent, not a care in the world. Kevin couldn't wait to propose to Barbara. And Barbara couldn't wait to tell him her surprise.