The Price of Failure

Meanwhile, Beast Man ran to Castle Grayskull. After Skeletor defeated He-Man, the villain killed King Randor and Queen Marlena, and conquered the castle, claiming the throne for his own. And Eternia was his. Finally, the throne that was denied to Kendor was his for the taking as Skeletor. Skeletor sat on his throne, a feeling of content. By his side was his second in command, Evil-Lyn. A few minutes later, Beast Man came in, a look of fear in his face. "Beast Man, you have returned," said Skeletor, "but you come to me empty-handed. I gave you explicit instructions to come to Earth and bring He-Man to me alive. And the consequence of coming back to me empty-handed would be fatal." Skeletor glared at his lackey. Beast Man kneeled and said, "Master, I can explain..." Skeletor gave an incredulous laugh and said, "Well then, explain to me why you come empty-handed."

"I wreaked havoc to lure the vessel of He-Man as you instructed," said Beast Man, "and he came as you predicted Master... Victory would have been mine, but Man-At-Arms and The Battle Cat attacked me from behind, ensuring their victory. I was then restrained and brought back to Eternia with He-Man and his allies. He-Man spared me to send you a message." Skeletor stood from his throne and growled, "And what is that message, old friend?" Beast Man looked down in shame and said, "He told me to tell you that he was coming for you." Skeletor looked down at his flunky and said, "That is indeed a shock. It looks like due to your incompetence, my greatest enemy could threaten my victory and my empire! I will not tolerate such failures... How should I punish you for failing me?" Beast Man then begged, "Please don't kill me Skeletor! I'll never fail you again, I swear!"

"There's always a price for failure Beast Man," said Skeletor, "but looking back, you have always been loyal to me from the very beginning. Why I would say you have been my best friend. I know you would never dare betray me. That is why I shall relieve you of all duty and live. Stand and smile, brother. You can tell your people the Beast Men that Skeletor is generous in letting you live." Beast Man stood and smiled. "Oh thank you Skeletor, I'm so glad you see me as your best friend," said Beast Man. "Yes, my friend who is relieved of all duty... And LIFE!" said Skeletor as he used his magic staff on Beast Man, turning him to stone. As Beast Man watched his body turn to lifeless stone, he cried in anguish, "Skeletor, NO!!!" And just like that, Beast Man was now a lifeless stone statue. Skeletor then used his fist to destroy the head, smashing it to bits. "The price of failure to Skeletor is death," he said, "let him be an example of what happens when you fail Skeletor. Evil-Lyn, find Beast Man's kin, and kill them all. If anyone witnesses, kill them too." Evil-Lyn nodded and said, "Yes, my master." Skeletor sat back down and said, "and when you've finished with that, gather our army of shadow demons and tell them to ready for battle. For if it is a war that my nephew and his Masters of the Universe want, it is a war they shall get. SO SAYS SKELETOR!"