[3] The Changing

Emmy grabbed a bucket and was trying to carrying it to the animal pen, but it was kind of heavy when I heard screaming. I then I saw Thomas running out of the Deadheads, away from Ben...?

Ben tackles Thomas to the ground, climbing on top of him.

"I'll kill you!" Ben screams, trying to choke him.

She was going to get Newt but he already arrived at the scene swinging a shovel at Ben's head, effectively knocking him off Thomas. I run over to the scene, dropping the bucket, wondering what's happening.

Ben grabs one of her arms and she tries to squirm out of his grip.

"Get your hands off her!" Newt yells, whacking the upside of Ben's head, making him unconscious. "Are you alright, Emmy?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." She says, rubbing the spot where Ben grabbed her.

"Hold him down!" Gally orders.

"What the hell happened?" Fry asks, turning towards Thomas then looks at Newt and Emmy.

"I don't know! He just attacked us!" Thomas replies.

Alby orders to take Ben to the Slammer. He was screaming and yelling, acting like an animal in captivity. He called a Gathering to decide what they're gunna do with Ben.

Emmy stayed until the Gathering was finished.
Ably pulled Newt and Minho off to the side.

"I'm concerned about how Emmy's handling this. She trust's you two the most, so I need you guys to keep and eye on her for the time being-but don't let her know. And she has my permission to not be present at the Banishment." Alby says.

"I'll let you find her first; she's more open to you." Minho says to Newt as Alby leaves.

They walked out of the Homestead, Newt immediately trying to find Emmy. He searched the Gardens, the Animal Pen and her hammock. But then he remembered her tree in the Deadheads.

*Emerson POV*

"Emmy? Emmy!" Newt calls out, most likely looking for me.

"I'm here Newt!" I call back.

"I'm sorry about Ben's Banishment." He says, as he sits next to me. "But Alby says you don't have to come to the Banishment."

"How was he get Stung on the middle of the day? You said they only come out at night, right?" I ask, as we stare at the Glade in front of us.

"They do! I just don't know why."

"Did Tommy live?"

"'Tommy'?" Newt asks looking at me, amused.

"Yeah. He said his name was Thomas, so I call him Tommy."

"Can I use it?"

"Go for it."

"Anyways, yeah. He still lives." He chuckles, looking down at his swinging feet.

~~~

Later that day, Newt and Zart were trying to remove a tree stump while Thomas was sitting on a log by Chuck.

"Alby knows what he's doing, alright? He knows better than any of us." Newt says.

"What does that mean?" Tommy asks. I could tell Newt was getting frustrated with all the questions.

"It's like you heard, yeah? Every month, the Box sends up a new arrival. By someone had to be first, right? Someone had to spend a whole month in the Glade alone. That was Alby. I mean, it can't have been easy. But when those others started coming up, one after the other...he saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other." He finishes, gesturing his machete to the five of us. "Because we're all in this together."

Tommy stood up off the log and swinging his own to at the root, slowly but surely, we were able to topple it over onto the floor.

~~~

As we finish up, the clouds become dark gray. A little while after lunch, it was raining. Most of the Gladers took cover under a canvas that covers the sleeping area. I lay in my hammock swinging back and forth. Thomas and Newt were talking outside.

"They should be back by now." I hear Thomas say. "What happens if they don't make it?"

"They're gunna make it." Newt answers.

"What happens if they don't?"

"They're gunna make it."

"You guys are over thinking this!" I yell to mainly Thomas and Newt. Everyone who was in ear shot laughs, including me. I could hear Thomas and Newt laughing too.