[12] Escape...Again

(A/n: Play song...NOW!)

"Thomas!"

The grate skids across the floor, Thomas struggling to exit the space. "We gotta go. We gotta go right now."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"What do you mean, 'We gotta go?'" Newt questions, but doesn't get an answer.

"They're coming. Come on. We gotta go. They're coming for us."

He tears off a blanket from a lower bunk bed and ties it around the door handles as well as a pipe close to the door.

"Paige; she's still alive." Thomas tries to explain to the best of his abilities.

"What happened in there? Aris, what happened?" Frypan asks.

Aris was still in shock and didn't answer Frypan.

"Thomas, can you just calm down and talk to us?" Newt asks, raising his voice.

"She's still alive."

"Who's she? Teresa?"

"Ava." Thomas states, out of breath and tying another sheet around the door handle.

"Ava? Will you just turn around and talk to us?" Newt finally demands.

"It's WICKED!"

In that moment, everyone froze, stepping back from Thomas' outburst. Newt's eyes widened. His thoughts immediately went to Emerson. One of the two people missing in their group. His little sister. That he swore to protect. The one that has so much importance to him.

"It's still WICKED. It's always been WICKED."

Thomas continued to take off the bedding and uses the mattresses to create a barricade. He leans on it panting and tired. Newt walked over to him and looks him dead in the eyes.

"Thomas. What did you see?"

~~~

The Gladers climb out the vent, Thomas check to see if the coast was clear. "Come on, come on. Okay, let's go."

Aris hangs back. "You guys go ahead. There's something I gotta do."

"What are you talking about?"

"Trust me, it's important. You guys wanna get outta here, right?" Aris nods at Thomas.

"He's gonna find someone named Emmy and make sure we have a way out." Becca explains.

"The guards will be distracted by us escaping so she probably won't be as guarded." Thomas adds on. "There's a chance she isn't in the same room as Teresa."

"Just go. I'll go with him." Winston speaks up.

"Okay, Winston, go! Go! Come on."

"You sure we can trust these kids?"

"You don't want to know where we'd be without them."

~~~

"Come on!"

Thomas runs the ID card through the scanner over and over. Nothing seems to happen. Unlock or anything.

"No, no, no, no, no!"

"Thomas!"

Janson came towards them. Down the other end of the corridor. His hands up, in front of a group of guards holding taser guns. Thomas threw down the key card, shifting his own gun to his shoulder then he has it armed.

"Open this door, Janson!"

"You really don't want me to."

"Open the damn door!"

"Listen to me! I'm trying to save your life. The maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last one day out in the Scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the Cranks will. Thomas, you have to believe me. I only want what's best for you."

"Yeah, let me guess. WICKED is good?"

Janson puts his hands down.

"You're not getting through that door, Thomas."

Out of miracles of miracles, the door opens up, revealing Aris, Becca, and...Emerson.

(A/n: *insert Avengers theme song*)

"Hey, guys." Aris greets.

The Gladers run under the door into freedom. But, Thomas was still pointing the gun at Janson and his crew. He shoots at the crowd until there is no more bullets left. Thomas sprints back to the door.

"Come on! Thomas!"

"Come on! Let's go! Go, go!"

"Stop him! Shut the main vault door!"

"Come on, Thomas!"

"Come on!"

"Move! Move!"

Thomas slides under the door just barely before the door closes.

"Thomas, what's going on?" Teresa questions.

Jason rams his body into the door. Then tries to use his key card to open the door. There was no use.

Thomas raises his middle finger at him, a sort of last revenge.

"You little shit." Janson shouts.

"Come on, Thomas. Let's go."