[9] Food Fight & Meeting Drill

(A/n: I'll tell you when to play the song!)

"Stop asking me questions." She looks around the room worriedly.

" She looks around the room worriedly

"It's the most important game of all."

"Are you trying to find my daddy? I hope you don't catch him

"Are you trying to find my daddy? I hope you don't catch him..." She takes a bite of her cereal.

" She takes a bite of her cereal

All these small clips of the little girl's past were flashing in her head

All these small clips of the little girl's past were flashing in her head. All too fast for her to understand. But, there was one that was not familiar to her.

(A/n: *Daniel Thrasher voice* tHiS aIn'T fAmiliAh)

Emerson and Newt were in a white room. He was on his way to be sent up.

"I don't want you to go. You'll forget about me." She was about to cry. Losing her older brother to memory loss was the harshest thing a 6 year old can experience in their life.

"I know. But, you'll come up in a few months. We'll be together again."

"What if something happens to one of us? What if Drill is bad?"

"I don't know, Emmy. I can't make promises I can't keep. WICKED can't stop us forever."

"WICKED more like STUPID..."

Emerson engulfs him in a hug,  tears streaming down her cheeks. Newt hugs back. He kisses his sister's head but pulls away to wipes her tears away. But the moment was broken by a doors slamming open with Chancellor Ava Paige waiting.

"Subject A5; you've had enough time to say goodbye. Now."

"Emmy! You have to wake up!" Newt shakes the kid. She opens her eyes. They had landed.

"Get inside! Hurry, hurry, hurry!"

Once they were all in metal doors slide close behind them. Thomas turns to face the man standing at the door.
"Wait, what's going on out there?"

"Nothing we can't handle." The guy shut the door, leaving the group in confusion and in the dark. Thomas bangs on the metal door with his fists.

"Hey! Hey, let us out!"

(A/n: Play song...NOW!)

Lights flicker on above them. In the middle of the room appeared a table filled with food. Emerson had to move to the front to get a better look-the disadvantages of being the youngest one and the shortest.

Soon enough everyone starts to devour the food set before them.

"This is way better than Frypan's slop!" Winston comments, his voice muffled with a mouthful of food. Teresa surprises Fry by throwing a handful of rice at him.

"The rice!" He exclaims, holding his plate up to use as a shield. "The rice!"

Somehow, a full blown food starts. Emerson quickly hunches herself over then back up, with a little squeal escaping her lips to avoid food being flung in her direction. Newt could not have seen her so happy in his life. A giant smile, full of life is shown. Something he has not seen in years.

"Now I have food in my hair! Thanks." Emerson says, sarcastically, shaking her head to attempt getting the food out of her locks.

~~~

Awhile later, their stomachs were satisfied. The group laid around in various spots around the room.

"I don't know who these guys are, but they sure can cook." Fry states, eating another spoonful of rice.

He rests on a steel support beam, Thomas sitting close by. Newt and Emerson sitting on burlap sacks, Teresa adjacent to them.

"But, who are they really, though? I mean, we don't know anything about them." Teresa counters.

"Well, we know they're no friend of WICKED." Newt responds.

"Maybe they could be, you never know..." The kid suggests.

"That's good enough for me." Minho  leans up against his elbow. "You guys think too much. We're free. Enjoy it."

Nobody spoke after that. Emerson pulls up her sweatshirt hood over her head and attempts to get sleep. Metal creaks loudly shattering the silence. The Gladers exchange looks of uncertainty as they went over to the door. A guard pulls open the door to standing aside to let another man to enter.
"You kids doing alright? Sorry about all the fuss." He apologizes. His accent lacing his words. "We had ourselves a...bit of a swarm. But, it's over now. The threat has passed."

Emerson rapidly takes down her hood and slightly brushes her hair down with her fingers.

"Who are you." Thomas questions.

The unknown man glances at the boy. Looking like he's analyzing him. His eyes glancing over everyone making the kid extremely uncomfortable. E The kid glares daggers at Janson. She knows who he is. He is Drill. The person who told her and her brother to kill their mother before they were sent up to the Maze. How? Who knows.

"I'm the reason you're still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared anyway. You can call me Mr. Janson." He introduces himself, as he leads them through a main are of a compound.

"I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a 'home away from home'. Watch yourselves." Sparks fly out.

"That means your taking us home?"

"A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of whatever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, out of the Scorch...where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?"

Like a lie. Emerson thought to herself. You don't want to save us. You are WICKED!

"Why are you helping us?" Minho questions, suspicion in his voice.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation-"

English please! She thought to herself. You do realize that I'm not understanding half your words right now?

"-We're all hanging by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus...makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed." He explains, back at the ragged looking teens...and Emerson.

He slides a key card through a slot panel. Janson turns to face the Gladers.

"Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first...let's do something about that smell."