[8] Escape

(A/n: pronunciation of the chapter title)

"Everybody, this way! Keep it up guys, we're almost there!"

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asks.

"Yeah." Thomas replies.

"Shit." Minho cursed. He gave the cylinder to Chuck.

"You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us. Emmy, go with him."

Teresa gave him a hopefully reassuring smile while tying back some of her hair.

"It's okay. Just stick with me."

"Once we're through, it will activate and the door will open. We stay close,
we stick together...we get through this. We get out now...or we die trying."

"Good, we're all shucking motivated." Emerson answers.

Glancing down at his sister with one of his characteristic half smiles like he was saying, 'That's my sister!'. Before Newt could have a chance to answer, Thomas raises his spear.

"Ready? All right. Let's go!"

The Griever shrieks at the group's appearance.

"Get up!"

"Look out!"

"Push it!"

"Look out!"

Teresa stabs the Griever's metal fore leg, barely missing her by half an inch. But in doing so, she accidentally knocks the cylinder out of Chuck's grip. Flying through the air, rolling dangerously close to the edge.

"The key!"

"Chuck! Watch the edge!" Emerson warns him.

"I got you, Chuck!" Teresa shouts, pulling him up from over the edge with the help of Emerson.

"Pull me up!"

"Come on!"

"Thomas! Thomas!"

"Chuck?"

"We got more coming!"

"Keep it steady, guys!" Newt yells.

"It works!"

"Teresa, go!"

"Don't back down!"

"Keep pushing!"

"Stay together!"

"There's gotta be a way out! Come on!"

"Watch it!"

"It won't open!"

"Thomas! There's a code! Eight numbers! Eight sections of the maze. Hey, Minho! What's the sequence?"

"What?"

"The sections of the maze, what's the sequence?"

"Seven! One! Five! Two! Six! Four!"

"Heads up! Minho!" Newt calls, right as a Griever drops from a wall, knocking Minho over.

"Minho!" Thomas shouts. They watch as the monster attempt to sting him.

"Oh!"

"Get off of me!"

"Jeff!"

"What's the sequence?"