VIII

I stared at my wide-eyed niece as she held on to the end of the shopping cart

I stared at my wide-eyed niece as she held on to the end of the shopping cart. She refused to get inside because "that was for babies" and in her eyes she was most definitely not a baby.

"Elli, you better not fall trying to do too much," Javi said while scrolling on her phone. It amazed me how mothers knew everything even when they weren't looking.

"I not."

I smiled at how cute my niece's baby voice was and focused my attention back on which cereal I was going to buy. It had been a few days since the big blowout and I spent every waking moment with Keon. It was time to snap back to reality with my job search and everything and the first thing on my to-do-list was to go grocery shopping.

"Bout time you went grocery shopping. Me and my baby are sick and tired of eating out every night. We want real food. Ain't that right, Elli?"

My niece bobbed her head along to her mom's words making me laugh once again.

"Oh, shut up! Y'all are fine. How long were you guys planning on staying again?"

"I don't know. Might be forever."

I gasped and looked at Javi with a huge smile on my face. "What?! You wanna move back?"

"Yeah, my old job is doing a rehire and my boss called me as soon as spots opened up."

I let go of the cart for a second to give her a hug. "Wow! That's amazing. I would be really happy if y'all did so I can spend more time with y'all and help you out with Elli more."

She nodded her head, smiling. "I would be moving back out here for a certain someone too."

I then went back to grocery shopping because that was typical Javi. At least she wouldn't be uprooting her life for a typical broke boy how she usually does. We shopped around in silence before she perked back up turning towards me.

"So, I need you and Keon to play auntie and uncle tomorrow night because Herbert wants to take me out."

I rolled my eyes again because I could see the messed up outcome of all of this now. "Why are you guys moving so fast?"

"What? We aren't moving fast at all, Jeannie. We've been texting for a minute now and I'm being responsible not introducing Elli to him. Trust me I got this. I'm the big sister not you. Plus, you got your own shit to worry about. I can't believe you just accepted him fucking his baby mama so easily."

I bugged my eyes at Elli, reminding her that her daughter was near and she shouldn't be cursing like that. "Heyyyyy, he said he was sorry and we weren't even together. Plus, Lucas and I were intimate  first. Yeah he was wrong for keeping it from me, I guess you could say that but I don't have a real right to be mad at him. I'm moving on and so should you."