XI

Right now, I was getting dressed to go out because for the past two days Javi, Ellie, Keon, Paige and I had been cramped up in Keon's apartment

Right now, I was getting dressed to go out because for the past two days Javi, Ellie, Keon, Paige and I had been cramped up in Keon's apartment. None of us wanted to leave because we didn't know what these people had planned for us and we didn't want to risk it. I sighed thinking of all the drama. I had to hold Javi back from knocking Paige's head off almost everyday. All of this was just getting exhausting.

Today I was going to march downstairs and tell Keon that I wanted to go out, no scratch that, needed to go out. I needed fresh air because staying cooped up in this house was making me nauseous.

Before I got the chance to walk out of the bathroom, Ellie rounded the corner, bumping into me. I grabbed her and flipped her upside down.

"Where are you going? Slow down, little one."

She couldn't stop laughing and shaking her head from left to right with her hair all over head. "Auntie Annie I play with Uncle Keon IPad."

I laughed at her silliness and felt happy inside that her and Keon was getting along. I felt sad because I wished Kiari was here to play with her too. I moved her to my back and walked down the hall to see what everyone else was doing and what Keon would say about me going out.

As soon as I walked in I saw Javi on the couch watching whatever was on her phone, Keon at the table on his laptop, and Paige staring blankly at the tv. Instead of ambushing him with the question I eased up on him. I put Ellie down and sauntered over to his chair and slid into his lap.

"Hey, baby."

He didn't bother to look up from his computer as he looked up and smiled a weak smile at me, signaling a hey. I rolled my eyes and sighed because I knew his nonchalant behavior was a result of him not getting to get close to Kiari. When I thought about what we found out I was no longer sad, I was angry. I couldn't believe people could be this fucking evil.

I wish it was some way I could help him but unfortunately I couldn't.

"Keon, I need to ask you something."

"Talk."

"Can I go out? Please if only for a little bit."

It's like all the life stirred back into him because he turned towards me with the angriest look on his face. "Are you insane, Jeannie? Are you seriously asking me to go out when you know for a fact you ain't fucking safe right now? I'm busting my ass tryna protect you when I can't even get my fucking hands on my daughter and you being ungrateful as shit asking to go out?"

My eyes watered. I didn't think of it like that. I was about to break down and apologize when I heard Javi's voice rise.