X

3 weeks later....

"Ma'am, the superintendent will be right with you."

I clicked her phone call over to the superintendent and let out a sigh. This was my second week on the job and I was already over dealing with angry parents calling in ranting and raving about their children being mistreated.

I decided to take my thirty minute break now. I went in and checked in quietly with the superintendent before grabbing my lunchbox and making my way to the break room.

"Hi, Jeannie."

I looked up and gave my coworker a small smile. "Hello."

I kept the greeting short because after the fiasco with Paige I wasn't too keen on friendships with coworkers anymore. I went and sat down at the table all the way to the back and pulled my phone out, surfing Instagram.

Like a robot, I went straight to Tiana's page. No activity. I had been trying for what seemed like years to contact her but it was nothing. No interaction whatsoever between us. I went to the house but the gatekeeper was informed not to let me in. I called Kevin numerous times and left even more messages. I had cried over and over to Keon about it but he told me sometimes people outgrow friendships as adults. I just couldn't wrap my mind around that.

For now, I was worried but once I knew she was okay I was never going to speak to her again.

Exiting out the app, I went to check my messages.

Keon💏: Babe, did you leave the door unlocked?

I rolled my eyes at his message. For the past few weeks, he had been so over protective and extra tight on security. He demanded I call or text him on every break and I call him before I leave work and as soon as I get home. He even had someone follow me to work to make sure I got there safely. I was pretty annoyed because he wouldn't tell me what was going on.

I knew it had something to do with his friend Shooter because he had fell off the face of the Earth. I don't know why Keon thought I was so naive I couldn't pick up that there was some type of tension between them.

Me: yes baby! I always do! That's the same answer as the thirty million other times you ask.

Keon💏: just tryna make sure everything is safe. Are u ok

Me: of course

He didn't text back for a minute and I sat my phone down to focus on my food but to also brainstorm ways that I could get him to open up to me about his little problem. Maybe a date. We had only been on one official date and I was dying to spend some quality alone time with him.

Me: we should go on a date baby. To a nice restaurant or a movie or something.

Keon💏: I don't feel comfortable right now baby. I'll set something up inside the house.

I rolled my eyes and exited our message thread, irritated by his unwillingness to go out. I went to Javi's thread to see what she texted me about earlier.

Javi: Did I leave some of Elli's toys over there?

I scoffed and locked the phone, annoyed with the both of them. We had both decided we needed space from each other so I was annoyed she was breaking our rule. I needed to breathe and work on me and Javi didn't contribute to my self-progress. I missed her and I know she missed me too but our pride wouldn't show it.