chapter two - preacher's daughters and red lights

chapter two – preacher's daughters & red lights

The last time I was at this dining table, I was 13 years old and I was having family dinner with the Preston's like I did every Friday. Today was Friday and here I was, 5 years later, having family dinner with the Preston family.

It was funny how many seats were empty. At one point, the dining room was bustling with all 9 Preston children their parents and their friends. Now it was just Mrs. Preston, the triplets and Sky. And of course me.

"Daddy doesn't live with us anymore" Sky spoke up. Children and the way they can make any conversation awkward.

"Sky" Mrs. Preston scolded. "I'm sorry, Thea. Adam & I are just taking a little break. It's nothing serious"

Devin scoffed, earning a glare from Mrs. Preston.

"You don't need to explain, Mrs. Preston" I smiled towards her awkwardly before taking a sip of my water.

"I haven't seen you in so long, darling. How have you been? How's your father, I haven't spoken to him since the funeral" Mrs. Preston smiled sadly at me.

My mother died when I was 15. Complications during labor. Neither her nor the baby survived... It's a hard thing to think about.

"I'm okay. Dad's getting through it" I plastered a reassuring smile on my face.

"Who died?" Kevin furrowed his eyebrows and Marc elbowed him.

"Shut up, dude"

"My Mom? It happened when we were 15?" I asked incredulously. I know that we weren't friends but he really didn't know that my Mom died.

"Oh. I'm sorry, Thea. I don't know why I didn't remember" Kevin frowned.

"It's fine" I sighed awkwardly.

A few minutes later, Mrs. Preston changed the topic.

"You know I find it amazing that you and Marc chose to become partners for this school project. It's good to know that you two are finally getting along"

Yeah, 'chose' to be partners. More like your son is a conniving little-

"I always had a feeling that you two would be the ones to get together"

That caused three people to start choking on her meatloaf. Me, Marc and Kevin.

"Mom, no" Marc shook his head. "It's not like that"

"They're not Summer and Tony, ma" Kevin rolled his eyes.

"Oh god no" Marc shook his head more vigorously.

"Offensive" I spoke up for the first time with the most offended look on my face.

"Very much. Thea is an amazing girl and any one of you would be lucky to date her" Mrs. Preston sighed and shook her head.

"Yeah, but not Marc" Kevin scoffed and Marc glared at him.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Marc squinted at him and Kevin laughed.

"You're a criminal in the making and Thea's a preacher's daughter. Never gonna happen" Kevin shrugged.

"Do you want me to-"

"Okay, enough" Mrs. Preston silenced the boys. "Marc, it's getting late. Maybe you should take Thea home"

I learned a long time ago that boys were complicated. Preston boys were 100x's more complicated. So that whole situation just went over my head. I am not dealing with whatever was going on there.

10 minutes later, Marc & I were in his car, driving the 10 minute drive to my house.

I was picking at my pink acrylics when Marc decided to speak.

"Don't get me wrong, you're fine as fuck but I'm not looking for anything serious" Marc laughed.

"I would never and I mean never be with you" I gagged at the thought.

"Wanna bet on that?" Marc grinned mischievously.

"No. We're not going down that road" I rolled my eyes.

"What road?" Marc glanced at me.

"The Sage & Benjamin road" I rolled my eyes.

Marc made a sound of recognition.

"You know they broke up last week?" Marc mentioned and I frowned. That's sad. Also, how would I know about that?

"Marc you're going pretty fast" I frowned as I realized he was going 10mph over the speed limit and was accelerating. He didn't answer me. "Marc slow down, are you crazy? We're in a residential area"

He didn't slow down but he wasn't getting any faster so I decided to ignore it. We weren't going too fast for me, yet.

I glanced over at Marc to see if there was a reason for the speeding. He didn't seem angry. His face was actually calm. He was chewing softly on his lip ring and staring straight ahead. Maybe he was just a fast driver, which is kind of weird because of his family history.

I didn't stop staring at him until the blue of his eyes glinted red.

My eyes snapped towards the red traffic light and the cars getting ready to start driving.

"Marc, the lights red" I warned him.

"I know" He laughed quietly.

"Marc slow down" I glared at him. How was this funny?

"Shh" Marc hummed.

"Marc, what the fuck?" I screamed.

The sound of wheels screeching and a loud honk made me squeeze my eyes shut.

Silence.

I heard nothing but silence.

"Open your eyes, dummy. We aren't dead" Marc snorted and I peaked out. He was right. We were turning down my block.

"Are you crazy?" I growled. "You could have killed us"

"But I didn't" Marc flashed me a smile but all I wanted to do was punch him.

"It had nothing to do with you! The only reason we're alive is because the car was able to stop before hitting us!" I cried out.

"Maybe" He laughed.

"Is this a joke to you? Marc we could have just died" I was breathless. I couldn't believe he had just done that.

Marc's face turned serious.

"You're right. I shouldn't have done with with you in the car"

"You shouldn't have done that at all! Haven't you learned anything from your older brother and sister?" I could not believe he could be so reckless.

"I have" Marc's blue eyes had a dark glint for a second before returning back to normal. "Do me a favor, thick Thea?"

"What, Marc?" I frowned at the nickname.

He started lighting up a cigarette and I rolled my eyes. He really didn't have any respect for his body.

"If I'm ever in an accident like Matt's, don't let them save me"

Don't let them save me.

"Marc" I searched his tone for a hint that he was joking but all I found was the seriousness of his statement.

"Bye, Thea"

And then I was watching his car drive down my road and every time he would speed up, I got a bad feeling in my gut.

a u t h o r s n o t e

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter of The Preston Playboys. it shows a little insight into whats been going on with the Preston family. What do you think Marc's little outburst was about? Please remember to vote, comment & share!

c a m m i  k e n n y