chapter thirteen - sober confessions and heartbeats

chapter thirteen – sober confessions and heartbeats

"Marc?" I blushed as I called out his name to get his attention.

Marc looked away from the group of kids he was with and his face broke out into a huge grin.

"Hey Thick Thea" Marc walked over to me, Kevin following hot on his trail.

"Uhm" I mumbled. "I wanna ask you a question"

I could hear my heart pounding in my chest and I could feel tingling in my fingertips.

"Oh?" Marc smiled at me.

"Do you wanna go to the spring formal together?" I rushed out, hiding behind my wild hair.

"Are you kidding me?" Kevin spoke for the first time and I flinched at the anger in his voice.

My eyes snapped to Kevin's and he was glaring at me. I felt like crying. I didn't want my best friend angry at me.

I looked back at Marc, who looked upset as well.

Marc wrapped his hand around my arm and pulled me off to the side by the bleachers. Away from his friends and Kevin.

"Listen, Tee... I don't like you like that" Marc stumbled over his words. "I'm sorry if I made you think I was but-"

I didn't hear what else he had to say because I was already running away from him and out of the football field.

I could feel my heart pounding against my ribcage. Or was that Marc's? We're so close that it's hard to tell.

There was no music but here we were. Dancing alone in my bedroom. Honestly I still remember how to dance but I didn't want to tell him that.

I didn't want this feeling to end.

I breathed in and all I could smell was pine and cigarettes. A smell that should disgust me but instead it made me feel warm. Happy.

"What are you doing tomorrow? For your mom?" Marc spoke for the first time, his voice cracked from how long he had stayed silent.

"Just going to my Dad's service and then probably getting something to eat with him and Wyatt. Ill probably go to visit the gravesite" I look up at him and he nods.

"By yourself?" He questions.

"Yeah. Dad visits by himself and Wyatt doesn't like to visit" I explain.

"Do you like visiting by yourself?" Marc asks.

"No but I don't want to intrude on my Dad" I shrug. Suddenly feeling a little upset.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Marc smiles at me.

And then my heart was beating fast again and my cheeks felt really hot.

"If you don't mind" I nod.

"Of course I don't mind. I loved your Mom" Marc smiles at me and all of the times Marc would spend with my Mom and I flashed in my head.

The times where we would run into each other at the supermarket and he would walk around with us until it was time to go home. Or the times he would accompany us to breakfast after Dad's services.

Then it clicked in my head. If I didn't like Marc, then why was I feeling this way?

If I hated him then why was I with him right now? If I hated him why did my heart beat so fast? If I hated him.... Why did I feel like I loved him?