chapter twelve - reunions and ballroom dancing

chapter twelve – reunions and ballroom dancing

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Marc, staring at me with an evil smile.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I need to give you something" Marc glanced over to where our parents were standing at the grill. They weren't looking.

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

Marc leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine.

"Ew! Marc" I pushed Marc away from me and he started laughing. "That was my first kiss!"

"I know" He grinned. "Now you'll never be able to forget about me"

I hate him so much!

I taped the balloons to the fence while Dad and Wyatt were getting the food ready for the barbeque.

"Tee, can you hurry up?" Wyatt called over to me and I could hear his annoyance.

"Why do you care?" I playfully glare at my brother.

Wyatt just scoffed and went back to putting the food out on the table.

"I think he invited a girl" Dad whispers to me and I bark out a laugh.

"Wyatt doesn't talk to girls, Dad" I roll my brown eyes.

"He asked to invite someone" Dad shrugged. "I think it's about time he brings a girl over. Especially since you've been bringing that Preston boy around a lot more"

My cheeks flush at the mention of Marc. His words from the party 2 weeks ago still are at the forefront of my mind. I know that I knew that he loved me but I had never heard him say it. And it confused me because I was feeling things that I have never felt before with Marc. The hate that bubbled in my stomach when he would speak turned into fluttering. The thoughts of hating him turned into thoughts of how amazing he was. The feeling of just wishing he would disappear turned into wishing that he would never leave. The relief I would feel when he would go away turned into missing him.

My hate was turning into something else and that scared me.

And the fact that he doesn't remember telling me he loved me makes things worse. Because I don't know if I should be relieved or disappointed.

** Eastview High, 2 weeks ago**

"Hey Thick Thea" My heart jumped as Marc snuck up on me.

"Hey Marc" I mumble, ignoring the fluttering in my tummy.

Marc's eyebrows raised in surprise. "What? No, yelling at me for calling you that?"

My cheeks flushed as I realized that I hadn't even noticed. Too distracted by my panic of coming in contact with him today. I haven't seen him since the party.

"I didn't realize" I shrug, grabbing my bag and making my way down the hallway.

"So about the party" Marc fell into step with me. My eyes snapped to his before he continued. "I'm sorry if I pissed you off. You barely let me come near you"

"Marc-" I stopped myself. Why was I trying to remind him?

"I drank a lot. I barely remember getting home" Marc laughed and I forced out a laugh with him, ignoring the lump that was forming in my throat. Why was I upset? This should be a good thing. "Can things go back to normal now? I'm kind of running out of insults to throw at Kevin"