chapter eight - kitchen fires and first kisses

chapter eight – kitchen fires and first kisses

I sat in the circle, chewing my hair nervously as Jenna put the empty soda bottle in the middle of us.

"Don't eat your hair, Thick Thea" Marc teased and I blushed heavily.

We were playing spin the bottle at Jenna's 13th birthday party and Marc was here. I hope I get to kiss him.

I watched impatiently as everyone got their chance to go. Jenna got to kiss Devin and Kaia kissed Henry. Charlie spun and it landed on Laurel. I giggled as he pecked her lips. That's Laurel's first kiss and Charlie told me a few days ago that he had a crush on her!

My stomach sank as Marc spun and it landed on Mikayla. I looked away as they kissed but heard Marc whisper to Devin that he got a little tongue.

"Tee, it's your turn" Laurel bumped my shoulder, a blush still on her face.

Here goes it... The bottle spun and spun until it landed on...

Kevin.

"I don't want to kiss you!" I gasped. It would be like kissing Wyatt. I gagged at the idea.

"You have to!" Devin pressed, sharing a look with his brother.

Kevin crawled towards me when I made no move to go to him.

"I'm sorry I can't" I freaked out, turning my head, making Kevin's lip smash into my cheek.

"Marc! Thea's here!" Sky screamed up the stairs as I walked into the foyer of the Preston house.

Marc wasn't in school today but we made plans a few days ago to meet today to work on our Home Ec project.

My stomach was doing flips as I wondered how he would act after our almost kiss two days ago. I knew that I would be pretending like it had never happened but I didn't know if he would want to talk about it.

I mean it was probably a traumatizing experience for the both of us. I mean we hate each other.

"Thea, can you make my hair pretty like yours?" Sky asked and I laughed.

"Your hair's already pretty, Sky" I smiled and she crossed her arms.

"But I want my hair to be big like yours" She pouted.

"Maybe after I work on my project, you can ask your Mom if I can curl your hair" I smile at the little girl in front of me. She was lucky to have naturally straight hair. Do you know how hard it is to detangle the mess of curls on my head?

"Sky, Myrna's wondering into my room" Marc bounced down the stairs.

"Ew" Sky crinkled her nose. "Mikayla's in there"

"Yeah, so hurry up and get her before the wicked witch gets her" Marc tickled Sky's sides and she squealed, rushing up the stairs calling her friends name. "Sorry, I would have warned you but they showed up like 20 mins ago while I was in the shower"

"It's fine" I shrugged. "You still share a room with your brothers?"

"Yeah" Marc snorts. "Mom refuses to let us take one of the other rooms. Mostly because Summer, Eric and Matt still visit for the holidays but I think it's mostly because at least once every year Eric moves back in with Marilyn and the kids"

I nod in understanding. Eric's had a hard time since college. Everyone in town knows it. He hops from one job to the next more times than anyone else I've heard of.