Chapter 7

The transition from cold spirit to warm body was breathtaking.

Literally.

I suddenly had to breathe and I haven't done it in a while so I choked on my breath.

'Cooth?'

I can hear Charlie in my head.

I cough and sputter, trying to figure out how breathing works so I don't break Charlie. "I TOLD YOU I GOT IT!" I coughed out, finally figuring out how to breathe. I took a couple breaths.

'You got it!~' I hear him giving me encouragement. It's cute. Why would someone encourage me to do something like this?

I looked down on myself, or rather Charlie. But still me, kinda. I could feel things. The temperature of the apartment, the cloth of his coat, the hair threatening to fall in my face. These simple things that I haven't felt in a long time. You tend to miss them.

I take another deep long breath. "I guess I missed this a bit..." I said. My voice was different in his body, but not by much. Lighter than my normal voice but not by a lot.

It's been so long since I felt anything but hate... being like this... it's a gift... and just as it's a gift to me, I can't take it from him, it's his, not mine...

'You okay Cooth?'

Oh yeah! He can hear my thoughts! I laugh, something I haven't done in a while. It felt good to laugh. "You can hear my thoughts, haha... yeah, I'm alright. I feel more human like this, buddy. Thank you for... this. It's... a nice turnaround from feeling cold..." I said, touching the fabric on the coat.

"Whenever you need a refresher you can ask. I'm all in to help you." He said.

My eyes went wide and then softened. "Thanks Charlie..." he doesn't realize that he's the first person to let me be so personal with him like this.

'I hope so? I mean I thought I was your only host~'

"Getting jealous are we?"

'Only if you lied!~' he joked.

"You are my first host. And I hope my only host. I don't think anyone else would do this for me." I told him.

'Well, when you prove yourself wanting to be something more than what the world wants to conform you to, you tend to get privileges.' The other laughs.

I chuckle.

'You seem different like this. Does having a body change your mood? Maybe allows you to feel more than your stationed emotion?'

"Sure feels like it." I told him. And that was true. I felt lighter, happier, better. There was meaning to the earth around me. Even though I was in the light, I still felt as if I was seeing the world through not just Charlie's eyes, but also his perspective.

Life for once was good. Was this what I was gonna get in end game? Is this supposed to make me want to take it from him more? Because it's only making me not want to do my job even more than I already do.

I can hear Charlie chuckle.

"Alright you, that's enough listening to my thoughts for one day." I laugh, receding back into his head, forcing him forward.

Charlie came back up, laughing. "Hey! Not fair! You get to listen to mine all the time!"

'Yeah, but I'm the nightmare. You're the human.'

"Your conforming yourself, Cooth." He said, standing up and stretching. "Don't label yourself just because that's what they made you. You can be whatever you want to be."