Spices and other Flavouring

When Ah-Si came down of his office he turned directly to the kitchen. The scent of delicious food attracted him.

He was hungry and was looking forward to having dinner soon. First he watched his wife for some minutes from afar feeling happy like a child to have her around. Shancai was concentrated working on a dish, she chopped vegetables and herbs, cut garlic, lemon grass and some galangal into little pieces. Some squid tubes lay aside. Obviously she was preparing a wok dish, but he nevertheless asked her: “What are you doing, honey?”

“I’m cooking dinner for our guest, did you forget? Lei returned yesterday from his debut tour in Europe.”

“Lei! He’s coming tonight? That’s great, long time no see.”
He looked a bit disappointed though “So we will enjoy a chintzy meal as you cook especially for him!” He grumbled but moved towards her, grabbed her from behind and kissed hot kisses onto her neck behind her ears. She giggled and tried to get out of his clingy grasp with snake-like movements, but he didn’t let her go. “You know that Lei doesn’t like spicy food, but I promise it will be tasty for you too”.

He turned her around so that she could face him and started kissing her space between collar and chest. “You know what kind of spice I like most”. Enjoying his tender kisses she still tried to get out of his hug and uttered a bit impatiently: “Stop that right now, otherwise I won't get ready in time and I don't want to muck it up."

“You are always pampering Lei when he is with us, have I reason to get jealous? What’s about my special treatment?” he still kept hold on his tiny wife.

“Come on, don’t be silly. Lei is not so often with us that you could complain about.” Now she kissed him underneath his earlobe and blew slightly into his ear. As this action tickled him, he loosened his grip and she finally got free. 

“He is your best friend, was your best man at our wedding. He had taught me to play the piano, how to play Bridge” she grinned and continued with: "to speak French. He supported me, ehem us, look where we are now! Just grant him a delicious meal with friends!” She emphasized the last words.
“Wait,” Ah-Si slowly pronounced. “French?”

Shancai looked at him in surprise, then pushed him aside and ran suddenly out of the kitchen. “Sorry, I must go to the toilet, I’ll be back in a minute. DON’T touch the wok!” she yelled from the hallway.

As quickly as Shancai had disappeared she rushed back. She knew him meanwhile so well. Thus she doubted if he could prevent himself from pimping up the dish with hot Thai chili she had already cut to make an extra sauce for her spicy husband.

Needless to say that Ah-Si couldn’t keep aloof from the wok, he threw all the Thai chili into it shortly before she came back. As he felt caught by her he unfortunately inhaled in the moment when the spice met the heated oil. So Shancai found him gasping and coughing in front of the sink where he desperately tried to get some ease from the cold water.

“Ah-Si, what have you done!” She scolded. “Don’t think that I pity you,” ignoring his gasping struggle. “You deserve this for real. I would have made an extra sauce only for you, you bad guy!”

Ah-Si’s skin was reddened, his face covered with sweat pearls and tears filled his eyes from the hot spice. Still coughing he said: Sorry, I just wanted….,” He stopped for an instance, then - remembering something – he started to chase her round the cooking counter.

“French, huey! Tell me at once about those French lessons Lei had given to you.” Shancai guffawed while both were running round the cooking block. When Ah-Si was up to reach her, she swiftly decided to change to the table where she tore the chairs out behind her to impede him. Suddenly she bumped into Lei who has arrived at that moment.

“Couldn’t you guys just stop playing your weird games at least when guests are coming?” He consternated waving with his mobile phone.

The young couple stood still like frozen from one second to another. Shancai blushed but smirked and Ah-Si got even redder under his still reddened skin.

“I see, Ah-Si, you turned from green-eyed to red-skinned,” Lei stated amused now.

“Sorry!” Shancai and Ah-Si responded simultaneously and Ah-Si added, “I admit I ruined your meal.”

“Why doesn't this astonish me at all? I know you so well, you cannot fool me, bro. And I know as well that Shancai prefers hot dishes too. So don't mind. I have already ordered my favorite food from a Taiwanese restaurant before I entered your house. I hope the dessert is safe or shall I order that as well?”

“Thank you, Lei”, Ah-Si looked sheepishly. “I’m always stunned and still not used to your way of caring. I really love you, bro! Welcome back!” Both men hugged and clapped each other’s back.

“Do you guys want me to leave you both alone?” Shancai sneered playing being offended.

“Of course not” Ah-Si pouted whereas Lei concernedly noted: “I love you both. Just tell me about the dessert then I tell you about my debut tour.”

“Oh, it's a Taiwanese recipe by the way,” Shancai was all smiles. Ah-Si reacted annoyed towards her. “Look, you do it again! You’re again spoiling him!”

“Stop complaining, my lovely idiot. With the dessert you will see how I spoil you too." She blow a kiss to her husband.
"The dessert is called: pineapple cake!”

Hope you enjoyed this story on “spicy”, which also refers to food,  given in our “prompt junction” together with
@Dr-Cokebottles @Meggyhashope
@JVH624
@rainingmeteors @monicacantwrite @zazounette86 @lindaisfangirling @evafabricando

I'm not sure about the turn in the end. I honestly  appreciate your comments and feedback. Please tell me if it’s too long; right or wrong use of expressions, grammar, whatever. Sorry for that – I am no native speaker, so I struggle along.
Thank you so much for reading and voting if you like. And many thanks to those who encouraged me (and still does). I enjoy it so much!😆

Credits to owner of the pics