15

It was broad daylight on the last day of her life, and Jennie lay wrapped like a mummy on the living room sofa, trapped.

It only took her a moment to fight her way out of the enveloping shroud, and she almost didn't see then note on the marble-top table beside her. It was brief and to the point. "Don't go in my room."

She didn't even know which room was hers in this rambling estate, so how could she avoid it? What had she done, booby-trapped it so she wouldn't have to factor her into any more of her plans?

She wrapped the sheet back around her and stood up. The house was surrounded by shrubbery, but from the floor-to-ceiling windows she could see the ocean, and it was just as likely someone could see in. How many people were on the island, three? Rosé, Chanyeol and Bobby, the brute force. Whoever else was involved in this operation had taken off with Kai's boat.
And of course, Kai was on the island, dead or alive, as much a victim as she was, Maybe Rosé was off having sex with him as well, she'd done as much before when she was on assignment, or so she told her.
But then, she had no reason to sleep with Kai. She had him where she wanted him.

She had no reason to sleep with her either. None at all, and yet she had. Finally, finally she'd felt her tremble in her arms, her heart racing, Because of her.
And was that a triumph or, in the end, a defeat? It didn't matter. Time was running out, and she wasn't about at waste even a minute thinking about Rosé Park. She couldn't afford to.

Victoria's Secret and microbikinis were out of the question, so were the enveloping caftans that would trip up if she tried to run. And she suspected that might be a very real possibility.
Her discarded clothes were gone, thanks, no doubt, to Rosé. The butcher knife lay on the floor beside the bed, unmarred by her blood, more's the pity.

She hiked the sheet around her, trying to dismiss memories of Animal House and toga parties. She wasn't in any kind of mood to be thinking about gonzo comedies. The Great Escape, maybe.
But she couldn't escape wrapped in a sheet. There must be something else to wear in the place, more of Kai's expensive sportswear. It had fitted her well enough on the boat, she could find something similar here, hopefully without courting death from Rosé's traps.

She was half-afraid to touch the doorknob of the adjoining room, expecting a lethal shock, but it opened easily enough beneath her hand. Another bedroom suite, this time with no spare clothes at all.
Three others, all the same. Which left two bedrooms, the master suite and one other small one. Rose would have co-opted Kai's rooms as she'd co-opted everything about her, so she could save that one for a last resort, and opened the small room off the kitchen, hoping for a maid's uniform at least.

She'd miscalculated. This was Rose's room, smaller than the guess rooms, spare and utilitarian for the servant she'd been pretending to be.
The sliding glass door was open to the outside, and she could see a clear path into the shrubbery, away from her luxurious prison. Surely escape couldn't be that easy?

She turned, and froze. A carefully drawn schematic lay stretched out on the table, drawn with a precise hand by a woman who paid attention to details. The house was diagramed, including the security system, and so was the entire island. She provided her own escape plan, probably something she always did, complete with food, radio and flares, on the far side of the island. If she could make it that far she could hide until they were gone, then call for help on the radio, assuming she could figure out how to work it. She had a decent chance at surviving after all, simply because she underestimated her resourcefulness.
Or had she? There was a handgun lying on the table a nine-millimeter Lugar with a full clip. Most people wouldn't know how to use it, but it was identical to the gun she'd been trained on, after the attack. She'd never be a terribly accurate shot, but at least she knew how to aim and shoot, and maybe that would be enough.

So, had Rose gotten sloppy all of a sudden? Or did she change her mind about killing her, when she'd told her she didn't have the luxury?
It didn't matter. She couldn't waste her time thinking about it, she had to concentrate on getting out of there as fast as she could. Getting to safety.

She found a heavy white T-shirt and a pair of khakis in his dresser. The khakis were identical to the ones she'd cut up on the boat, she hadn't been wearing Kai's clothes after all, but hers. It shouldn't have mattered. It mattered
She didnt bother with underwear. She dressed, picked up the gun and tucked it into the waistband of the pants, pulling the T-shirt down over it. She'd have ro go barefoot; her shoes were long gone and even her size seven feet would disappear in Rose's shoes. She'd just have to manage.

She stood over the schematic, taking in every detail. She might not realize she'd been in there if the paper was still in place, and she had a semi-photographic memory, even under such stressful conditions. All she needed to remember was the path to the bunker. And where they were keeping Kai.

She was an idiot to even consider trying to save him. What good was she, up against three people who could only be describe as terrorists? Just because they thought they worked for the supposed good guys didn't make them any less monstrous. And i the last few years Jennie was having a hard time even figuring out who were the good guys and who were the bad.

Men and women who killed in cold blood were bad. Men and Women who followed orders and killed without asking why were evil, no matter how beautiful.
If she hadn't had the gun she might not have considered it. Without it she was essentially powerless, all she could do was run and hide.
With it she had at least a tiny chance to save him. And she'd never be able to live with herself of she didn't try.

She squared her shoulders, pushing her long, tangled hair behind her back, and started toward the open door. She'd told her every exit, every door and window in this sprawling place was equipped with an electric-shock system that might very well kill her. The schematics outlined the security system, but there was no sign of any electrical addendum, and she didn't dare try to mess with it.

All she could do was step through that door, into freedom, and if she died trying, so be it. She was dead either way.

Just to be on the safe side, she jumped over the threshold, careful not to let any part of her body touch the door frame. She landed in the soft dirt on the other side, unscathed. She took a deep breath, hoping for the pure air of freedom, but the rotting tropical vegetation was heavy and strange. She needed to be away from boats, the ocean and islands. If she made it safely to her apartment in New York, she wasn't leaving again.

Of course, Manhattan was technically an island. But it didn't feel like one-it felt solid and safe, where you only had to worry about rapists and muggers...
And crazy people coming out of the sky, crashing airplanes into buildings. Maybe she'd been living in a fantasy world, thinking anything was safe.

She'd have time to figure that out, God willing. In the meantime she needed to get to the place where they were keeping Kai and see if he was still alive. If he wasn't, then she could run for cover with no guilt.
It was the best she could hope.

•-------------•

I'm lazy to do it you'll have to do with this short update for now hehehehe

Anyways you'll probably gonna curse at me in the upcoming chapter
Just to spice things up I'll do something really explosive and it'll be longer ^∆^

See you later guys ^o^
Bye~
Nyongan
-dumpling