3 | Promises, Promises

Maya and Alaric had been training Elena in the woods for the past few hours. She asked Alaric if he could help her learn to fight so that when the next evil thing that showed up, vampire, werewolf or other, she would be able to defend herself. Although Maya isn't a vampire, she is a werewolf, a relatively strong one at that.

They were still training on the dummy considering Elena had yet to grasp the concept of staking. "The pressure of your punch ejects the stakes," Alaric showed her by fake punching the dummy.

"Easy enough," Elena said sounding a little too confident and attempting to stab the dummy but fails to do so, "That's weird." She tries again, but once again, fails, "Must be jammed or something."

"Let me see," Maya says taking the stakes, she then punches the dummy, "nope, not jammed. You need to start working out. Get some meat on your bones," she says jiggling Elena's arm.

"Catch," Alaric said, throwing what looked like a grenade at Elena, she caught it, "Surprise." She threw it in the air before it exploded, "This isn't a joke to me, Ric."

"You think I'm joking? Do you think any of those monsters are going to care if you're paying attention or not? They have no remorse, it's in their nature."

"Rude," Maya scoffed quietly causing Alaric to shoot her a look.

"You don't have to use pronouns. You can say Stefan," Elena retorted.

"Look, I understand why you want help, too many people have hurt you and you don't want that to happen again."

"You guys think I'm crazy. To believe that I can protect myself from a vampire who flipped the switch."

"I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do pretty much anything," Alaric explained before handing her back the sleeve with the stakes. Maya's ear perked up when she heard a noise coming from behind them.

"I'll be back," Maya rushed out quickly before going in the direction where she heard the noise. She walked on the balls of her feet in an attempt to quiet the noise of the crunching leaves but it didn't do much good. She turned around and came face to face with the devil himself.

"Hello, love," Klaus spoke with a smirk.

"Klaus, just the guy I didn't want to see. What are you doing here?"

"Just wandering, it's not the same as it used to be."

"Aren't you supposed to be gone?"

"I decided to come back for a small break."

"Right..." she said trailing off, "and you just happened to stumble upon us during your venturing?"

"Purely coincidental."

"Doubtful."

"Why don't you like me?"

"You just want one reason?" she retorted. She hadn't noticed, but he stepped closer to her and looked her straight in the eyes. "I think it's time that you remember," he said compelling her.

"What?" she began but soon understood when the memories came back to her.

"W-what happened?" Maya groaned and rubbed her temples attempting to ease the pain.

"I knocked you out," he responded simply, the mysterious man had a very evident British accent.

"You did what now? Why?" she said looking up at the very handsome man, but she had no idea who he was.