14 | We'll Be The Stars

As a result of recent events, Maya took it upon herself to figure out what the hell was going. She could feel the wolf side of her, ready to come out if she asked of it. The witch part of her felt intact but she couldn't be sure. And the newly found vampire part, that was a whole other ballgame. Her thirst for human blood was strong but she was currently attempting a strict animal blood diet.

She entered Alaric's room in search of information that could help her. What she stumbled upon was the opposite of what she was expecting.

Instead of the room being empty, Caroline sat in the chair. She had a rag wrapped around her mouth that was burning her so she assumed it was coated in vervain and two wooden pencils stabbed into her hands. Maya cringed and looked over at Alaric who stood by the window on his phone, oblivious to who just entered.

Maya quickly texted the first person on her recent list, 'help at school,' before Alaric hung up and turned around.

"Alaric," Maya said looking between him and Caroline.

"Maya, how nice of you to join us," Alaric said stepping closer, "have a seat."

"I'm good, thanks."

He turned to Caroline and twisted the pencil causing her to let out a shout.

"Okay, okay, I'll sit," Maya said in an attempt to stop him as she sat down, "what's your aim here?"

He took another pencil off of his desk and plunged it into her left hand, he then did the same with the right. Maya held back any gasps and attempted a straight face.

Footsteps could be heard from down the hall and this seemed to make Alaric happy, "Right on time."

"Caroline, Maya," Elena said as she entered the room before turning to Alaric, "Let them go, Alaric!"

"Free them yourself."

Elena looked at Alaric in confusion before turning to Caroline and Maya. Maya shot her a warning look and shot her eyes down to her hands. She knew he wasn't going to let them go, Caroline was already hurt enough.

Elena walks over to Maya cautiously. She gently pulls one of the pencils out but Alaric slammed it back into her hand causing Maya to shout in pain.

"You said that you would let them go!" Elena shouted.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Elena? Stop trusting vampires!"

Alaric dipped the cloth that was in Caroline's mouth into a container of vervain. The skin around her mouth is red and looks as though it's peeling away. Alaric walked back over to Caroline.

"No, no more, please, no more!" Caroline pleaded.

Elena stood up, unable to take any more of Caroline's shouts of pain, "Alaric stop!"

This only angered him more. He pushed her back into the seat before shouting, "Sit down! This keeps the vervain in her system. It's like inhaling razor blades with every breath."

Alaric placed the cloth back in Caroline's mouth. Her skin began to produce smoke. She cried and screamed in pain yet Alaric was unaffected. Elena touched her arm in an attempt of comfort.

"Why are you doing this?" Elena asked.

"To make it easier on you when you put her out of her misery," Alaric explained picking up the white oak stake and walking toward her.

"What?! No!"

"Isn't this what you wanted, Elena? For me to teach you how to kill a supernatural?" Alaric held out the white oak stake towards her. "Well, here's two of them, Elena. Kill them."