29 | Consequences

"Do you want to hold her?" Maya asked when she found Rebekah looking at the babies in the newly named nursery.

"Oh, no, no, I couldn't," Rebekah said stepping away from them, embarrassed.

"You're her aunt, you can hold her if you want to. And even if you aren't related to Tyler, you can hold him too. I know how much you wanted kids and how you lost that dream when you were turned into a vampire. I guess this is the closest you'll get, unless Elijah gives you the cure. Think of it as practice."

"Are you sure?" Rebekah asked, uncertain.

"Yes, I'm sure," Maya said walking into the room. She reached in and picked up the giggling Hope.

"It's easy okay, just support her head," Maya said before handing Hope to her.

Smiling was something Hope did a lot. She recently discovered the facial expression, and seems to enjoy it. Unless she's sleeping or crying, she's smiling.

Rebekah held Hope and smiled down at her, "She's beautiful."

"Yeah, she gets that from your brother. I was a hideous baby."

"Now that I find hard to believe," Klaus said from the doorway.

"Believe it," Maya said as she switched the baby monitor on.

He laughed lightly before turning to Rebekah, "Elijah is here."

"Great," Rebekah said. She put Hope down and walked past Klaus.

"You coming?" Klaus asked.

"I thought this was a family meeting."

"You're practically family."

"Oh," Maya said, fighting back a smile, "I wasn't informed of my title update."

He rolled his eyes before turning and Maya grinned to herself, following him out.

"Elijah, being a human means a fresh start. I can grow old and have a family and fill my days with meaning, knowing that each one matters," Rebekah pleads her case and Klaus laughed.

"Well, that was poetic."

"Well, if you can provide us with a more compelling reason for wanting the cure, Klaus, please," Elijah pointed out.

"Silas can appear as anyone. He got inside my thoughts, convinced me I was dying. He will torment me until I give him the cure."

"And in doing so he will break down the wall to the Other Side," Rebekah added.

"So it doesn't trap him there when he dies. He wants to reunite with his lost soulmate," Klaus said turning to Elijah, "You of all lovesick fools should applaud his devotion."

"He will open the floodgates for every supernatural being that has ever died."

"Including our dear brothers, Kol and Finn. We'll have our family back."

"Please," Rebekah scoffed, "you hated Kol and you kept Finn in a box for most of his life."

"Elijah, please," Klaus begged.

"Your personal discomfort might not be sufficient reason for putting the entire world in jeopardy, Klaus. I think our sister deserves a shot at happiness."

"Tell me you're joking. Tell me you're not fating me to an eternity of torture."

"I made my decision."

Klaus swiftly stood up and leaned down to speak into Rebekah's ear, "When you're sick and dying, and you beg for my blood, I will laugh in your face and compel you to forget me."

Klaus then left the room and Rebekah looked at Elijah. "Where is the cure?"

"Rebekah, it's no secret that you are impulsive, emotional, and at times morally questionable. Prove to me this isn't just another one of your whims, that you know precisely what you are giving up here."

"Fine. Anything."

"I want you to live a day as a human. This day. No vampire privileges. No strength, no compulsion, no nothing. If you succeed, if you still believe this is what you want, the cure is yours."

Rebekah looked surprised but relaxed slightly and accepted the challenge.

"I need a dress," Maya said to Klaus, who was standing by the fireplace.

"What?"

"A dress. You know that article of clothing tha-"

"I know what a dress is. I mean why do you need a dress. You don't usually wear dresses unless it's a special event."

"It's not for me. It's for Caroline. She's freaking out because Elena stole hers."

"And she can't get it herself?"

"She could, but she said she wants to look 'Princess-Grace-of-Monaco-hot.' And I just happen to know you have plenty of dresses that fit that category."

"Alright, fine. I'll be back," he said before leaving the room.

Klaus grabbed a dress for her and Caroline came to pick it up later on.

The house was seemingly empty and Maya was wandering around when she heard Elijah talking.

"Elijah?" Maya said in confusion, "Who are you talking to?"

He turned to look at her when his phone rang.

"Rebekah?"

"Elijah, I think Nik's up to something."

"Where did you go?"

"I'm still at the prom. Look, don't do anything with the cure until I see you. Something's not right. Elijah? Hello? Elijah, do not take your eyes off that cure."

"I think it might be a little late for that," Elijah said, shooting me a worried look.

The night's bad turn took and exhausting turn of events and Maya was ready to crash.

Maya entered Klaus's room to find him reading a letter. He looked upset.

"Is everything okay?" Maya asked.

"I'm not sure."