Chapter 9 - Lips So Soft

Asimina

The alarm sounding has me prying my eyes open. I shouldn't have had so much to drink last night. Caught up in conversation with Mia and Bianca, I downed half a bottle of bourbon. Rolling out of bed, I quickly wash my face and brush my teeth before throwing on my workout clothes and trainers.

In the past few weeks, my schedule has been brutal. The day begins with a workout session at five in the morning. Then, I meet Mariano or Matteo at six for another couple of hours. And finally, I finish off with shooting practice.

Matteo and Mariano have not gone easy on me. Every session ends with emptying the contents of my stomach, which has led me to stop eating breakfast before any training. My body hurts, my muscles ache, but the results show. I feel so much stronger, and my reflexes are sharper.

Since dinner with Nora and Luciano, my efforts to avoid Raffaele have been immense. The late-night conversation over a drink ceased. Physically, I know I'm attracted to him, I mean, what woman wouldn't be? I need my distance from him. The sexual attraction is palpable. It doesn't help the man is always shirtless. My uneasiness stems from my dependency, the desire to spend time with him and absorb his attention. It's nothing like I've ever felt before. I'm confident it's the situation I've found myself in, my fear of Alonzo that has me seeking comfort in Raffaele.

Running down the stairs on my way to the gym, I slam into a broad, masculine chest, heat is radiating off him, and his tantalizing scent; I don't even need to look up to know who it is. Reluctantly bringing my eyes to meet his dark orbs, I mutter, "Sorry. Normally there's no one is down here at this time in the morning. I didn't think I'd run into anyone."

"I thought I'd join you today. You've been avoiding me since dinner with my parents." His gorgeous smile forms on his lips, and I internally curse.

Quickly defending myself with an excuse every woman uses, I claim, "No, I haven't! I'm just too tired to stay up every night."

"Is that so? You've had a few late nights with Mia and Bianca," he reiterates what we both know, cocking his eyebrow in challenge. He's not buying what I'm trying to sell him.

Groaning in defeat, I confess, "Ugh, fine! I'm avoiding you. Okay?" Frustrated, I move around him to the treadmill.

"That I know! What I don't know is why?" He's equally frustrated with me, coming around, standing in front of the treadmill.

"What were you all saying in Italian at dinner?" I question.

"Is that with this is about?" he scoffs. "I was telling my mother to leave you alone and find another Red Rose. You were uncomfortable with the idea."

Shaking my head, I answer, "No, it's not about that! More curious about what was said." Rubbing my tired eyes, I admit, "Raffaele, we're spending far too much time together."

"Is my company that bad?" he prompts, a hint of hurt present in his voice.

Letting out a heavy sigh, I insist, "No! I've enjoyed our talks, but you're a distraction. My sisters are coming soon, and I'm no longer vulnerable. I need to get back to my house, my job, and start living my life again." Exhaling, I mumble, "I've never depended on anyone before, and you've done more than enough for me. So, please, give me some space!"

"Right!" His eyes darken and narrow while his lips twitch as he grits, "Enjoy your workout, Asimina."

*          *          *          *          *

Matteo and Mariano enter the gym, the brutality commencing, bring the treadmill to a stop. "Hey M&M's, so who am I training with today?"

Smirks linger on both men's faces as Mariano walks closer, announcing, "Both of us! And don't call us that."