Chapter 25 - The Clock is Ticking

Raffaele

Sitting in my office at the penthouse, I bring the liquor to my mouth. Her intoxicating green eyes appear in front of me every time I fuse mine. Is she as miserable as I am? Is she breaking and falling apart?

I'm aware she's impulsive. She would rather fight alone and lose than bring harm to anyone else. Only I have walked around with a gun since the tender age of ten. My father found it necessary to train us early after what happened to our brother. This is my life. Threats come from all directions. It's part of the package. Has she now regretted us?

It's been twenty-two hours since she left. I look like shit with my bloodshot eyes from lack of sleep and alcohol, my raw knuckles, and even my shirt is stained. I slump back into the chair, drinking, lost in the chaos of my thoughts while waiting.

Time is not on my side; the clock is ticking. It won't be long before the news she's missing gets out. I've lost count on how many things I've broken or how many holes I've put in the walls to release my anger. I'm suffocating. The pain in my chest intensifies every time I visualize her. Finally, my fear claws at me. It's the lump stuck in my throat, the one I keep trying to push down. I'm a fucking mess thanks to one, Asimina Alexiou, and her Goddamn stupid bravery.

Diverting my eyes to the door, Sal enters with caution, the rest of the men following. Mariano, the last, closes the door behind him and continues speaking into his phone.

"Raf-" Sal goes to explain.

Raising a hand, I cease his speech, picking up my glass and sculling my liquor. It's the only thing helping to keep me at bay. Mariano disconnects with the caller, glancing at me with alarm. His brows furrow together as he shakes his head, placing his hands in his pockets, his gaze falters, and his shoulders sink. He's nervous, worried. He doesn't need to say the words. His expression is enough.

"Alonzo knows?!" I grit through my teeth. It's more of a statement than a question. He sternly nods without making eye contact. Pouring another drink, I rub my face, letting out a frustrated breath. Asimina better hope I find her soon. The longer this goes on, the more furious I'll become. There will be no taming the Demon.

Sculling yet another drink, I dart my eyes at all my men, some leaning against the wall and some sitting. They all remain quiet, waiting for my bark, as Asimina calls it. "The agreement with Roberto protects Alonzo and six of his trusted men. They're not to be touched. Yet! I still need them to attack me first to protect Zia Camila."

Standing from my chair, I carry myself around my desk, relieving some of my legs' numbness. "Put the word out to our men and fly in more if you have to. Everyone in Alonzo's circle who's found looking for her on the streets is to be killed, leaving dead bodies lying around California."

"What about Alonzo and the other six? What if they start heading in her direction?" Tommy questions, preparing himself to act.

"Capture them. Throw them in one of our cells," I advise, and he nods in understanding. My dismal state doesn't allow for much disobedience. In the past twenty-two hours, Tommy has matured.

"Sal, Mark, Leon, and Alex, head out to Peoria, Arizona. Follow the road, scan the towns, and find the second stolen car. Tommy will keep you updated if anything new appears on the database."

Disheartened, I pass Sal one of the vials. "Use it only if necessary." It's the last resort. Asimina has proven more skillful than we all predicted. She's been stealing cars, changing her appearance, and bouncing through states. I've hunted and killed crime lords with less difficulty.

Narrowing my eyes, I speak with an untamed voice, "Any one of you hurts her. A bullet will be your reward. Do I make myself clear?"

"We know what she means to you, Raf. Those words aren't necessary," Mark retorts. Impelling himself off the wall, he continues, "When we find her, we will keep our distance, notify you, and wait for your instructions."