Chapter 12 - The Cat's Out Of The Bag

Asimina

We've been on the road for the past hour. My mind keeps traveling to my cousin. Petro must be on edge, wondering what we're talking about. I love putting him through this torture.

"So, what are your sisters like?" Bianca asks curiously.

"Well, Nat is the most level-headed one of all of us. She's sweet, but don't let the sweetness fool you, she can turn into a firecracker just as quickly. She's always looked out for Lia and me. When our mom died, she took it to the next level. The fear of losing another family member overpowered."

Nat hasn't always considered consequences. She actually used to be a bit of a rebel. Once she took me on a road trip with her college friends. We spent the weekend at the beach, bonfires every night, playing Truth or Dare games. She was daring back then, unlike now. Those are some of my favorite memories with Nat. That weekend I had my first kiss, drink, and hangover. My older sister was the one who looked out for me. I miss her. I keep hoping Natasha isn't completely lost.

"Lia is just as blunt as I am, only I know when to bite my tongue, unlike Lia. She's full of sweetness, fun, and very loving. She's also timid, but only when it comes to men, she finds attractive."

Liana, being the youngest, has the rest of us looking out for her. She turns twenty-three in a month. Lia had a couple of relationships, one ending when Petro broke the boy's arm and nose. The other she ended over text after he continued to push for a more intimate relationship. Nat was hoping a trip to Greece would give her some confidence.

Lia will notice the tension and the loving glances between Petro and Bianca. I need to give Bianca a heads up, letting her know I'm aware it's obvious. "Bianca, can I ask you something?" I smile.

She uncomfortably squirms in her seat before she answers. "Sure. What would you like to know?"

Turning the music down, I glance to my side, blurting, "You're in love with my cousin!"

Sighing heavily, she looks down at her lap. "That's not a question. It's a statement."

A sheepish smile curls on my lips. I cautiously ask, "Is it a wrong statement?"

Leaning her elbow on the car door, she rests her chin in her hand. "No, it is not," she confirms, "but nothing is going on."

Reaching over, I grab hold of her hand, giving it a little squeeze of comfort and encouragement. "You want there to be! It's obvious, Bianca! Trust me when I say that when it happens between you two, my sisters and I will be ecstatic!"

Meekly smiling, she speaks with a heavy heart, "Thank you, but it's not just that. I mean, of course, I want all of you to like me." Blowing out a despairing breath, she claims, "Petro has seen me at my worst. No man would want me after that. I wish I'd met him before everything happened."

"Bianca, I don't know what the situation is, I will not push to find out either. You can tell me the story one day when you're ready. But, know one thing, Petro is not shallow. You have a right to be loved and cared for, regardless of what has happened in your past," I insist, attempting to put a stop to all her negative thoughts.

"She's right, Bianca. Look at me. I never thought I would get married after everything. You just need to let it go," Mia adds.

"If Petro wanted me, he would have said something already," she defeatedly mumbles.

"Or he's just unsure of your feelings towards him? Maybe too blind to see?" I prompt. Deciding I'll let Lia spill the beans on this one, I don't add anything further.

"You married your cousins' friend? I thought there was some guy rule against that," I probe, throwing Mia into the hot seat.

"There is! I have my own story. Maybe soon I'll share it. Mariano became my everything. When he finally gave in to the temptation of me, Matteo wasn't happy. One of his best friends was hooking up with his little cousin, so they ended up in a fistfight." She smiles at her memories. "Bloody cavemen." She laughs. "By the way, that was one hell of a slap. I'm surprised Raffaele didn't retaliate." Mia turns all the attention to me.