I'm Closing My Eyes To See Us //Jeongchan

Jeongchan (Jeongin x Chan)

Genre: Angst and sad

Status: Dubiously platonic

Words: 12,226

Down below the waves, deep beneath the coral reefs and the mountains of land littered with critters scavenging for food but only to find the plastic and horrors of the world above, resided a society much more intelligent and farther along than anyone could dream for the human world. A society that cared deeply for politics but not any more than the interest of their people. A society that cared deeply for the love and bond between two souls and the relationship between the tiniest of fish and the entire universe.

This society lived half as humans and half as fish, tails as their lower halves, scales and gills all across their skin to breathe, and an impossible amount of strength that put bodybuilders to shame. Their intelligence rendered unfathomable due to their ability to speak multiple languages, not only the quiet screeching of their own tongues but the multitude of ones along with the human world as well.

Humans, while a few claimed to know of the merfolk's existence, didn't quite understand how a species like theirs could exist. None of them really bothered learning about the ocean, and those who found merfolk either didn't live to tell the tale or just simply weren't believed, so the mermaids didn't need to worry about them. The humans could never directly hurt them or try and wipe them out, but it seemed they already caused more damage than they could ever really understand.

Even with the plethora of books and knowledge the merfolk owned about the human world and what came with it, they had never seen them cause as much damage as they had over the course of the last few decades. The ocean, the mighty spirit that wouldn't ever go down without a fight, was dying, and now the merfolk had to step in and save it.

Even if it meant the destruction of the human world.

That's why Yang Jeongin, military chief and one of the strongest mermaids to swim the seas found himself on the coast of one of the larger islands, Sydney, Australia, to study the human world a bit more in-depth and decide if they could make the change themselves before the merfolk decide to take it into their own hands.

Once raven hair, opal eyes void of a pupil, and gray skin turned to slightly darker brown toned hair, black eyes, and honey skin as he ventured out of the small cave he transformed in. Most merfolk blended in with the human crowd regularly, but for them, it served as a vacation where they didn't quite pay attention to what happened around them. Luckily though, merfolk outranked humans in politeness and left clothes for whoever decided to visit next, this small cave the joint between the human world and the sea. Caves like this lingered everywhere, but they all relatively looked the same.

Jeongin slipped on the clothes with ease, finding discomfort in the rough, stiff material of the swim shorts and the cotton of the black t-shirt against his chest. Despite taking on a human body, some merfolk still suffered from lingering scales a long certain parts of their bodies. Regularly, they blended into the skin, but the texture still didn't quite enjoy the feeling of clothes.

After that, he waltzed out onto the shore with sandals in his hand and the hot sun beamed down on Jeongin from above, the mermaid basking in the warmth and letting his toes curl into the sand. Jeongin loved the ocean more than anything in the world, but it wasn't common he got to enjoy the warmth of the sun without having to worry about being caught. "Go enjoy the sun, brother. The ocean will always be waiting for you." Seungmin's, Jeongin's older cousin, words echoed in his head and Jeongin allowed his shoulders to drop and the tension flood out of his body.