CHAPTER 3

Lots of names and faces.

Actually, that was a lie. Four people, four names, four faces. None of them seemed incredibly shocked by me, which was irritating. The boy who had nodded to me, Alby, seemed to be in charge of everyone. No one spoke to me except for the boy Minho. Even he didn't seem to make any move until Alby approved it.

"Did you get a name, Newt?" They all focused their attention on Newt, which gave me a moment to breathe. I needed a plan, a plan to protect myself. I woke up in a strange room, with strange people, and now i needed to get out.

Just like a puzzle, Ember. Solve the puzzle.

I let them talk to one another as I looked around the room. One door, which I was leaning on, and two windows that were incredibly dirty. My only option was to sneak out the door as they were talking, unless I wanted to fling myself out a window and die. Which didn't sound too bad, currently.

I felt for the doorknob and slowly turned it, hoping the door wouldn't creak. The door was halfway open and I was halfway out when I heard the voice that made my blood run cold.

"Now, where do you think you're going?"

So close.

I turned around and closed the door, facing the boys. They all looked at me with accusing stares. I slid down to the floor, feeling guilty for some reason. I had no reason to be sorry, really. I wake up in a strange box and they expect me to not freak out and try to run? I looked up, careful not to meet the stares of any of them. "Sorry," I croaked. I sounded pitiful. Like some weak, small person.

Isn't that what you are, though?

Alby nodded at me and turned to look at the group of people. "It's to be expected, boys." I looked down, a small fire starting up inside of me. Where they just going to act like I didn't exist? Talk about me like I wasn't in the room? They should be asking me the questions! I knew some of the answers, right? And what I couldn't answer, I'm sure they could fill me in. I was getting angry, worked up, so I stood up, gaining some of my confidence back. My actions were abrupt, finally getting all of their attention and getting some nasty stares at the same time. I got a good look at my captors for the first time. They were all fairly the same height, save Newt. They all were wearing worn-out clothing and old shoes. They were a mix of colors, from their hair to their skin tone. Some looked annoyed that I was interrupting something obviously important, but others had looks of sympathy and kindness. After I had stood up, I tried to make eye contact with any of them, but they all avoided my gaze. I finally caught the eye of Newt, and whispered my question once more.

"Where am I?" My voice was low and coarse, grating against the silence. My throat hurt from the sudden use, considering it had been locked up with silence earlier. Newt held my gaze and nodded slowly. He broke our staring match and turned to Alby, raising his eyebrows and gesturing at me with his head. Alby sighed and scratched his head.

"We call it The Glade." 

sorry really short i know xx