Smile, Tell Me It's Alright.

"So. You have stripped in front Ember."

After Minho said that, I then proceeded to choke on my sandwich and Newt spat out a mouthful of water. Minho lost it at our expressions, and was whacking me on the back.

"I was cleaning his bloody leg! Literally."

"I didn't strip!"

"Ray was there, ask him!"

"Alby can clarify!"

"Calm down! I was joking!"

I pursed my lips and Newt made this noise in the back of his throat. Minho was the only one who knew that we were totally breaking rules by having a relationship. Newt elbowed me, and grinned. I smiled, finally relaxing. Minho was so irresponsible with the little power he had. I quickly ate my dinner and headed back to my room. I laid out on my bed, and let my mind wander. I often thought about what the world was like outside of here, and I daydreamed of parents and siblings. I heard a small tap on the door, and I sat up.

"Come in!"

Sean stepped in, and closed the door fast. I knitted my eyebrows together, and he sat down next to me.

"Hey."

"Hey. You know, you really aren't supposed to be in here."

"I know, but..."

He neared me, and I backed away, and for once, fearing him.

"That rule is totally bull, ya' know."

"Sean, I don't like you."

"That doesn't matter. I'm a boy, and you are helpless."

I shook my head and scooted away. He kept coming closer, and I tried to get up. and tripped. He laughed and pinned me to the ground. I squirmed as his faced loomed over mine. He smashed his lips against mine, and I turned my head. His tongue was on mine, and I gagged. I did the thing I had to do, even though it was disgusting. I kneed him as hard I could, then rolled out. I ran out of my room, and ran to the Homestead.

"Newt! Alby! Somebody!"

At this point, I was sobbing. I knew I was overreacting, but I was scared. I didn't know how crazy he was, or how capable he was. And I really didn't want to find out. Newt ran out of the Homestead,

"Ember! What's wrong love?"

"He, he, he broke the rule!"

I watched the blood drain out of his face through my tears.

"Who?"

"Sean."

"ALBY!"

Minho ran out of the Homestead, and looked at the sight on the ground.

"What happened?"

Newt looked up and growled,

"Find Sean and put him in the Pit."

"Why?"

"I will explain later, just do it."

Minho nodded hesitantly, and ran off. Newt sat on the ground with me and let me cry for awhile, while whispering promises he couldn't keep in my ear. We were attracting a crowd, and people were starting to questions.

"Is she ok?"

"What's wrong?"

"Why is Sean in the Pit?"

"What is this?"

The last one was Alby, looking down on us with his arms crossed and his face unemotional.

"The shank tried to hurt her. He broke the shucking rule."

"Gathering. Now."

~~~

"What did he really do?"

"He came into my room, and I told him he shouldn't be in there. He told me he knew, and then he... kissed me."

Newt slung his arm around me, and I sighed. Alby was making me say everything, and it was painful. Newt was trying to comfort me, but even I knew he was closer than friends would be, and I didn't want him doing anything that would tip Alby off.

"He broke the rule, and now you see."

I snapped my head up, and glared at Alby. Was he trying to get himself killed?

"See what?"

I said dangerously, even though I knew what he was talking about.

"The rule is for your own good."

"This is what you want to bring up right now? THIS is what you want to talk about right now?"

"Well, it is true!"

"ALBY!"

"EMBER!"

"I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE FREEDOM TO DATE SOMEONE, AND NOT HAVE TO WORRY."

"BUT YOU CAN''T!"

"WHY?"

"BECAUSE THIS MIGHT HAPPEN. AGAIN."

I shook my head in disbelief. It was like he wanted to butt heads with me, make me angry. I could see Newt signaling that I shouldn't fight, but I couldn't help it. Alby pushed all my buttons till they came off. I shook my head and stormed out of Homestead. I got that he was trying to protect me, but meeting Newt in secret was driving me nuts. I walked to the forest, and sat down at a tree trunk. I stared at the stars, and eventually drifted off. I was half-asleep when I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I automatically struggled, and Newt kissed my cheek.

"Shh, Ember, it's just me."

"Sorry."

"No problem."

We sat there for a long time, just staring at the stars. It was nice, and quiet.

"You really shouldn't bicker with Alby like that, love."

"But the bloody rul-"

"Alby is starting to get suspicious."

"Suspicious?"

"He thinks you like someone in the glade. He thinks that you want to date someone."

"Why is this such a big deal to him?"

"I'm not sure."

"I just want be able to hold your shucking hand at dinner! Is that to much to ask?"

"Same."

I smiled and nuzzled into his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around me, and smiled into my hair. I looked down at my watch, and stood up.

"It's 10, Newt. We should go in, yeah?"

"Mm."

He stood up and I started to walk away. He grabbed my wrist.

"Hey."

"Yes?"

"Don't worry, ok? Everything will eventually work itself out."

I nodded when he inched in and leaned our foreheads together. He rocked slightly, and wrapped my arms around him. We stayed in that position for a long time. He eventually pulled away, and kissed me softly.

"I will talk to Alby tomorrow, because the rule is shucking nonsense."

"Isn't it?"

"Goodnight, MedJack."

"Goodnight, Runner."

{IN CELEBRATION OF 1K HERE IS AN UPDATE. I know that yall might be be annoyed by now, but this is an accomplishment for me. Thank you for voting, commenting, and everything else you did. I hope you keep reading!}