Optimism Isn't An Option

{NEWT'S P.O.V}

Boom.

I stared at the wall, not knowing what to do. The girl I loved was trapped inside those walls, not knowing her way around, not knowing where the walls would move, not even knowing where the dead ends are! I felt a hand clamp onto my shoulder, and swerved around, suddenly engulfed in flames of anger and seething hatred. It was Alby who touched me, but my gaze was locked on the bloody slinthead who had pushed her in there. He was lying on the ground with a huge gash on his forehead. Minho had the spear that had done the damage. He was staring at it with disbelief, maybe denying that he had actually hurt him. Sean was easily two steps from death, and I liked it that way. He deserved to die. He had traumatized Ember, and then pushed her in the shucking maze! I had utter faith in her, but she still knew little to nothing about the maze. It was so dangerous, and I was so terrified to hear the outcome of it. Alby was also standing and moving a somewhat daze, making it seem as if he was pushing against syrup or honey.

"Ember?"

The voice had come out as a squeak, and we all averted our eyes to Rudy, who was standing with eyes wide and lips slightly parted. He swallowed, and looked at Sean, who was still on the floor. He shook his head and his breathing got harder. He spun around, and walked to the homestead. It seemed to wake Alby up a little bit.

"Well,"

He seemed unable to speak. He stared at the ground, where Sean was.

"Keepers, get him to the Pit. Everyone else, get some rest."

The words came out as a whisper and we all got to what we needed to do. Six of us walked forward, and grabbed Sean. I grabbed his arm, and we all jerked him up so hard, he almost flew. I felt the anger directed towards him radiating off all of us as we walked there. We were there in no time, and Gally unlatched the door, and we tossed him in like a rag doll. The second the door was closed, I walked off. I knew I wasn't getting any sleep tonight, so I headed to the tree where so many nights had been spent with hands and hearts entangled. I sat down, and the whole thing hit me like a ton of bricks. She wasn't coming back, she will never live through that. I have to keep my head up, but it felt almost impossible. What was even the point of living without her? It was hopeless. But, I knew she wouldn't want me to talk like that. Ember was such an optimistic person, always. Always.

"Newt? Are you out there?"

I snapped my neck around to see Minho walking towards me. He couldn't see me, as I was sitting down at the trunk of a tree. He moved tree trunk to tree trunk, and eventually stepped on my hand.

"Bloody shuck, Minho. That hurt."

"Newt!"

"What."

"We need help. We need to map ou-"

"Minho. I need to be alone. Just go away. Please."

Minho looked shocked, but walked away. I sighed, and leaned my head back against the tree. I ran my fingers through my disheveled hair. She literally slipped through my fingers. The moment that we touched fingers, grasping at my hand, wanting my safety. And... she slipped. She got pushed, and the fear in her eyes flashed, and I knew there was safety. And I let her go. I let go, and watched, as horrified as I was, as she fell into the death trap. Oh, I was an awful person.

"Newt. I don't care how shucking klunked you are, we have to map out where Ember will be in the morning. Get off your sorry ass and come on."

I turned around and stared at Alby. Did he really not get it? Didn't he not say that he liked her? Did he not care? Bloody Alby.

"Alby, I don't care what my job is. I will not go do what you say, because you are the leader. This is my grieving period. When I wake up in the morning, I will run that maze, find out she is dead, and go back to my real life. Now leave. Just. Leave."

Alby smirked and crossed his arms.

"You had it sooo bad for her, didn't you?"

"Like you didn't."

I practically spat it on him, and he backed up, a disgusted look on his face.

"Fine."

This was an awful night. Awful. My best mate and I were in a fight over a girl that was gone, and probably dead. I put my head in my hands and groaned. This could not get worse.

{Yo}