Banish Him, Alby.

• Dedicated to Sarah McDonald. (Annabeth)

When I woke up the next morning, I felt like nothing could go wrong. Newt’s warm presence was still with me. I smiled as I did everything. I sat down and had breakfast with Minho and Rudy. I didn’t see Newt, and I just assumed he was getting ready for running. I wasn’t sure about who I was taking under my wing today, so I walked over to the Homestead before the walls opened. I heard some yelling, so I leaned in at the door. I knew that it wasn’t respecting their privacy, but hey. I was curious.

“WHY DO YOU CARE?”

“WHY DO YOU CARE?”

It was Newt and Alby. I was surprised, but I stayed.

“I JUST CARE ABOUT THE FACT THAT SHE MIGHT BE BLOODY UNHAPPY.”

“THIS IS FOR THE GOOD GLADE.”

“Really?”

Newt’s voice got dangerously soft.

“Is this really about the Glade?”

“Yes.”

“Do you like… her?”

“I don’t know. Do you like her?”

“Maybe, shuck.”

“Well too bad. Ember is just a freaking girl, and I might like her too!”

I gasped and of course, the door gave way. They both stared at me in shock, and I shook my head apologetically.

“I didn’t mean to… i’m sorry… i’ll leave.”

“Good that.”

I nodded, and scrambled out. I ran to the MedJack house, and collapsed in the first room I saw. This was awful. Alby liked me? But I liked Newt! And Newt liked me! I couldn’t possibly like two guys. And I didn’t like Alby!

“Ember!”

“What just happened?”

Newt sat down and shook his head.

“I went to tell Alby to rethink the rule, and he blew up. Then… he said that he liked you.  And then you came in.”

“Shank! You're going to be late!”

“Not running today.”

“Why?”

“Sean has his Gathering.”

“Right.”

I swallowed hard, and he hugged me. At the same time, Alby walked in. He raised an eyebrow, but he spoke directly to me. I knew he was speaking to Newt, but wasn’t looking at him. Great. 2 of the leaders were fighting over me. This wasn’t what I signed up for.

“20 minutes, Homestead. We are going to discuss Sean.”