Introduction

—

It was always a better day when my best friends were added into the mix.

Well, best friend.

Promise I'm not anti-social; just homeschooled.

Which now that I say it out loud, is basically the same thing.

Anyway...I was staring outside the back window of my friend's friend's car, with us sitting on top of the back seats as they laid down. My brother, Eric, had his arm wrapped around his girl and mine, Michele Faith.

Now anyone else would make a big deal that my brother and my best friend were dating, but I really didn't, cause in actuality, she was his girlfriend before she was my best friend. And even though I outrank him now, if it weren't for their love , I wouldn't have Michele.

My brown skin absorbed up the setting sun and I smiled as Eric played with Michele's hair in front of me. Eric's friend Justin and his girlfriend were in the front, smiling at each other and playing the latest music off of the radio.

Ah. Young love.

How cute.

How unreachable.

Michele looked toward me, snuggled up underneath Eric's arm and gave me a smile. "Hey Liz, this is gonna be our summer huh?"

"It better, or everyone that said your last summer before heading off to college is the best are getting reported to the police."

"You're right. I'm expecting a full ass movie of a life when I'm in the Big Apple. Sex and the City raised one too many bars for me."

"At least you don't have to live up to the hype of Seattle! Grey's Anatomy is a bittersweet life to expect." We laughed at each other.

We were all heading our separate ways in good old-fashioned-best-friend's style. Me to Seattle, Michele and Eric to New York, as for the rest I didn't really know/care. Plus their Eric's friends, so I really didn't need to.

Eric and I aren't twins. Just to clarify. And niether of us were held back either. We're adopted. But hell, he for sure was more my brother than any blood test could identify. Our parents are interracial so they got one child of each race to represent them both. I didn't really mind having a Caucasian mother and brother and I'm more than sure Eric didn't mind having an African American sister and father, so yeah. That's that.

If this was gonna be the last summer I'd spend in Colorado, then I wanted to make the most of it. I wanted to make a mark. I wanted to fall in love. I wanted to break some hearts. Cry. Smile. Laugh. Dance. I wanted it all.

"Lizzy, whatcha thinking about?" Eric called, I looked over to him, breaking my gaze from outside the window.

"That if y'all don't stop canoodling I'm actually gonna barf."

Eric and Michele laughed and he slid his arm in further across her chest. "Just wait till it's you. Oh wait, it has been."

I stuck my tongue out and crossed my arms, looking back out of the window of the car. I had been in a long term relationship for a while, but the spark just hadn't been there in the last months and I knew I needed to end it. So yeah, I was being a hypocrite, but hey, I wanted to lean on someone too. Literally.

"So what's goin on with this race tonight? Since when do you take personal call-outs? Especially ones not in the daytime." I asked Eric. We were all traveling to the most remote part of our town to go to a race that some guy had requested. Eric loves to ride his motorcycle and race, so he didn't mind taking him up on the offer.

"I dunno, the guy kept calling. He even met up with Michie at Starbucks to convince me to race him. Someone that persistent has got to put his bike where his mouth is."

"Okay, but still, at night?" Eric huffed and ran his hand through his dirty blonde quiff as his hazel eyes sparkled right as he looked into the window to the reflection.

"It was the only time that worked for him, which is why I brought y'all along. Just to be safe." He motioned toward Justin.

"Yeah, I'm sure Michie and I will give them a fright when we flash our guns." As if on cue, we both lifted our arms and flexed toward Eric. He laughed and rolled his eyes.

"You two are my moral support, my cheerleaders, for lack of a better word. Justin and his girl are the security. They take boxing and defense classes all the time together."

I nodded and laid my head back, allowing my straightened hair to be my pillow. I knew we'd arrive soon, so I prepared myself to see another win from Eric.

Our parents were big motorcycle junkies, so I guess you could say that they passed that onto us. Mom legit owned a motorcycle repair shop while being a teacher, and Dad's a lawyer to the stars at the same time as being an investor into different shops and shows involving motorcycles. In our spare time, Eric and I would work at the shop. We grew up around them. I knew a bike inside out and then some.

"Who's the guy your racing anyway?"

"His name is Jason Morris. Couple tattoos, brunette, green-eyed boy, looks a little like Eric but not. He apparently just moved in with his Dad after visiting on and off throughout the years. Word on the street is he's already a prospect for a club." Michie answered.

"Wait, you're racing a prospect?!"

Motorcycle Clubs aren't uncommon at all in Fort Collins, but they're still bad news. It's not like we have the Robin Hood-type Clubs here. Nah, these were law-breaking, unforgiving clubs that you didn't associate with unless you had to.

"It's not confirmed that he's in a club," he shot Michie a look and she shrugged, unfazed, "that's just a rumor. Plus, if he is then we gotta assume that my name's being passed around and this might be the only way to stop that."

I shook my head, not satisfied at all by that answer. "No, I'm calling Dad and we're getting out of he-"

"Elizabeth."

I looked at him and he pleaded with his eyes. I knew he was slightly right, this would be the only way to keep him outta mind from them. If he raced tonight , we wouldn't have to worry about them really bringing him up tomorrow. That is, if he did one thing...

"You gotta lose."

He laughed and shook his head.

"I'm serious Eric, what good would come from you winning? You have them give you money and embarrass a member. You think that'd help the situation?"

Michele sat up and stared at Eric as well, "Baby, I want this over with after tonight."

He looked at her, then at me and sighed, tossing his head back. "Fine. I'll lose, but I'll still make it a close one."

Michele raised an eyebrow.

"Okay! He'll beat me hands down. Happy?" She smiled, and leaned down to kiss him, as I looked away, I noticed something.

We were there.

—::A/N::—

Hello! Hope you loved the first chapter! Can't wait to get this one going!

Qotd: What do you think will happen at the race???

Answer and let me know!