Talk to Someone!

"That movie was surprisingly good," Rio said, as they walked out of the viewing and into the main lobby.

"Yeah, it was great." Mitsuko smiled widely, trying not to fidget.

Rio eyed her briefly before she smiled. "I was expecting the worst, so congrats, your movie tastes are less cheesy than Koro-sensei's dramatic metaphors."

Mitsuko's thoughts shifted to what he'd told her last. "Yeah..." She nodded, smiling still. "He doesn't half go on." She looked through the glass entrance doors apprehensively.

"Are you okay?" Rio's smile faded.

Mitsuko gave a short laugh. "Oh, yeah, sorry!" She rubbed the back of her neck. "I'm spacing out again, my bad." She smiled. "I had a great time."

Rio stared at her for a moment, she didn't smile. "You're doing it again."

Her smile stiffened along with the rest of her. "Doing what?"

"You know I'm not an idiot."

Mitsuko swallowed, feeling the smile completely drop from her face. The lobby was starting to empty as people either left or went to see their films.

Rio fixed her with a hard look. "You're acting like you don't want to be here."

She felt a rise of panic seep up her throat. "No, I do," she replied quickly, moving closer. "I loved the movies a-and I loved...that you wanted to spend time with me again."

"Then why are you pulling a total 180?" Rio brow furrowed. "Seriously, just tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong," Mitsuko instead more forcefully than intended. "Okay, can we just not ruin this—"

Rio's frowned deepened, more confused, as she took a step back. "What are you—?"

I'm losing her again.

"—Listen, j-just listen, okay." Mitsuko grabbed her hand to stop her from leaving. "Please."

Rio stopped, staring at her warily for a moment. "...Okay."

Mitsuko swallowed, letting her hand go. "It's not you," she said quietly. "My father is just..." A brief bitter smile formed. "Being his usual asshole of a self."

"Oh..." Rio's gaze became understanding. "Okay, I get it." She smiled faintly. "He's being an ass about us hanging out again?"

Mitsuko sighed, crossing her arms as she shrugged. "Yeah." She smiled tightly. "But it's fine, I've gotten used to it."

Rio grimaced and then sighed. "Do you want to come back to mine?" She shrugged. "My mom won't mind..." She rolled her eyes. "She misses you."

Mitsuko laughed weakly, as her face broke out into a smile. "Your mom's sweet..."

"Yeah." Rio's smirk wavered, looking away. "You know, you can tell me if your parents are giving you crap. I mean, nearly everyone in our class has some kind of problem with their folks."

Mitsuko forced a laugh. "It's not that bad, seriously, I'm tougher than I look."

Rio frowned still. "Right..."

***

"Why did you turn me off!" Ritsu's angry face appeared on Mitsuko's desktop the next morning.

Mitsuko sighed, rolling her eyes. "Will you calm down already, I have homework to do." She tried to type but Ritsu kept blocking her screen. "Stop hacking my computer!"