You Worry Too Much

Mitsuko's gaze scanned the text on the workbook while her hand wrote without pause. There was a timer in front of her to keep track of her progress; max time one minute reading each question thoroughly then—

Her phone buzzed when Ritsu popped on the screen. "Mitsuko!!"

She stopped writing and frowned. "Ritsu?"

The AI was bouncing around excitedly. "Did you hear what happened?!"

"Um, no." Mitsuko raised an eyebrow.

Ritsu squealed, conjuring up a cup of tea. "Kayano told me!" she began to explain. "So, you know how—"

Then Rio started calling.

"Hey, hold that thought," Mitsuko interrupted.

Ritsu spilled her tea when she stood up. "Hey, Wait—"

She put her on hold and accepted Rio call. "Hey?"

"Okay, so don't get mad," Rio said quickly.

Mitsuko frowned. "What?"

There was a loud sigh. "Look...you know how I went with Isogai and the others to the Main Campus library?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Yes?"

There was a nervous laugh. "Well..."

***

Mitsuko banged on her brother's bedroom door. "Gakushuu! I know you're in there!" She placed her hands on her hips, glaring at the door.

A few seconds of silence past before she heard a faint sigh and then footsteps before the door opened. "What?" he replied testily, still dressed in his school shirt and tie like it was a second skin. "I'm busy."

She barged into his room without so much of an invite. "Rio called," she said, accusingly. "Apparently you emailed Isogai the terms to you 'friendly' class bet?!" Her hands curled into a fist. "A bet which apparently involves enslaving Class E?"

Gakushuu frowned briefly before he rolled his eyes. "Oh, so that's what this is about." He closed the door and sighed. "I was planning on telling you tomorrow when everything was finalized." He walked over and shrugged. "I don't see why you're worried; the bet doesn't involve you." He raised a brow. "You're my sister."

She felt a flare of irritation. "That doesn't make it better, Gakushuu." She crossed her arms, leveling him with a look. "Why are you doing this? Class E hasn't—"

His gaze narrowed. "I wouldn't need to do this if you were just honest with me."

Mitsuko frowned, inching back slightly. "What?"

"I know the Principal is hiding something, and I know whatever shady operation he has running, all links back to E Class," her brother said coldly, crossing his arms. "But what I can't understand is why you won't tell me."

She felt a prick of apprehension, looking away. "Gakushuu..."

"Is he blackmailing you?" he pressed on. "Is that it?"

"What? No," she replied quickly, frowning again. "I haven't told you anything because there's nothing to tell."

His expression tightened and became closed off. "So, that's it then?" He uncrossed his arms and placed them on his hips. "You're really on his side now?"

"What?" She nearly did a double-take, convinced she'd misheard. "Did you hit your head and lose a few brain cells? Like hell, I'd be on the Principal's side."