He's living on borrowed time

Mitsuko dunked her knife into the red paint as she leant against a tree.

"Mitsuko, I want you leading the attack," Karma instructed when he finished briefing Rio and walked over to her. "Just to warn you, you're probably gonna die." He smirked down at her. "Nothing personal, but I need to slash their numbers."

She rolled her eyes, standing up. "No offence taken." A small smile threatened to spread onto her face. "It kind of reminds me of Gakushuu's strategy."

A brief scowl flashed across Karma's face, but it was gone quickly. "Well, the guy's ruthless. I can respect that." Then his eyes narrowed. "Nagisa's gonna be hidden, which means his team will be strategically placed to carry individual defence and attack—so stay on guard."

Mitsuko nodded, slipping the knife into the holster. "Understood." Her brow furrowed the longer she stared at him. "But before that, be honest with me for a sec..."

"Huh?" He tensed, narrowing his gaze.

"What's the deal with you and Nagisa?" She crossed her arms. "Half the time you act like friends and then the next minute you're guarded like he's a stranger."

He frowned, looking away. "Don't know what you mean to be honest."

Mitsuko rolled her eyes. "Look, I get it, and honestly I'm probably one of the few people in the class who understands." She grimaced. "Kids like us...we keep our guards up because it's what we've always done, kind of comes with the whole neglectful parenting." She sighed while he remained tense. "Something about Nagisa keeps you from getting too close, and I'll take a wild guess and assume it's his talent in killing?"

Karma's lips pursed, leaning against the tree next to her. "Anyone ever told you to keep your nose out of other people's business?"

Mitsuko almost laughed. "This coming from you?" She shook her head. "So judging by the defensiveness, I'm right on the mark, huh?" she said, sighing. "Seriously, you and my brother are way too similar sometimes. You're both emotionally constipated."

"No, I'm not!" Karma grew defensive.

She rolled her eyes. "Like I said, I get it." She frowned. "Whatever drama you and Nagisa have you can solve it yourself, but don't let it interfere with the mission." Her eyes narrowed. "And more importantly don't let it ruin the bond we all have with each other—that's just disrespectful to Koro-sensei."

Karma grimaced, lowering his gaze. "You let me worry about Nagisa." He moved off the tree. "Just focus on playing your part and winning this."

Mitsuko nodded, watching him leave. "You don't need to tell me twice." She pulled her hood up and wandered over to Kimura and the others. "Okay, guys." She smiled brightly. "Let's go kill our friends!"

***

Mitsuko wiped the blue paint from her visor as Hara helped her to her feet. "Kimura, Okano! I told you guys to wait up!"

Okano and Kimura looked sheepish, detangled from the trap that was set. "Sorry!"

She sighed, smiling at Hara. "Nice distraction!"

Hara grinned, backing away. "No problem. See you guys on the other side!" She yelled before disappearing into the trees.

Mitsuko smiled and waved. "Good luck." She sighed, following Kimura and Okano to where their other dead classmates would be.

Each side are getting picked off, and Nagisa is still nowhere to be seen...

She frowned and made her way up the hill where Koro-sensei was waiting with the others.